Certain towns in Massachusetts can require a Licensed Electrician to do work?

Users who are viewing this thread

helix3

Sr. Systems Engineer, Biotech
Reaction score
I'm working on a sunroom at my mother-in-law's residence on Seekonk, MA and went to pull an electrical permit (with her, in her name as the homeowner) and was told that we needed a licensed electrician for the job. I've worked with friends on their homes as well as my own in various towns in Mass doing electrical work legally with permits, but I guess certain towns can regulate their own rules?

This job is simple: 6 can lights, a ceiling fan, 7 outlets, two light switches, move a doorbell button and move an outside light and run a feed from the main box. I have all the hardware and have drilled everything to start running wires and just needed the permit to move forward and planned to get it done over the weekend. Now I need to find an electrician I guess. Anyone in the South Eastern Mass area interested?

Thanks....

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We have some MA guys who will probably know the answer. We KNOW that MA prohibits any plumbing work at all except by licensed plumbers. That is state law. I'm sure the town selectmen can improvise their own rules as well.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Towns can set their own requirements. Here, a homeowner can do all of their own work.

I've seen some places let the homeowner do almost everything, but then require a licensed electrician for other things. For instance, an electrician may be required to a service upgarde, main panel replacement, etc., but a homeowner would be allowed to install outlets/switches, run Romex, etc.

Looks like you are stuck. I agree from a safety point of view, it is a good idea to require licensed electricians. However, this can backfire as some people cannot afford to hire someone (or will not want to hire someone), so they will do the work without a permit if a licensed electrician, plumber, etc. is required. I would much rather see a DIY install that has been inspected and approved than a DIY install that will never get checked and may be dangerous.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks