Central Brass Shower Diverter not Diverting

Users who are viewing this thread

Atalanta

Reaction score
Went to fix a leaking faucet and update the handles. Went with the kit and replaced the stems for hot, cold, and diverter. No more leak. Took a shower and it was fine.

Next day, BF took shower and said there was barely any pressure. I checked and he was right. I fiddled with it and now there’s nothing. Hot and cold still work fine, but when I try to change it to shower, the tub cuts off and the shower barely drips.

I tried putting back the old diverter, nothing. Tried tightening it tight and not so tight (which was so not tight the diverter shot across the tub!).

I’m hoping someone here can help and save me from making a $$$ call.
6F68B8E5-515F-4443-93BD-4937A9D6C210.jpeg
BA20A53E-98CE-4337-A569-EA9C362433DF.jpeg
C1F996D6-5B56-460C-813E-D4D408747320.jpeg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Possibly part of a washer or other debris is stopping the flow to the riser

Atalanta

Reaction score
I tried to clean out the connection and managed to get the shower working. The pressure isn't great (a fraction of what it was), but it will suffice for now. I removed the shower head to see if that had been plugged, but didn't really notice anything. If there still is a blockage, I'm guessing this means taking apart the actual plumbing behind the wall (I did find an access panel). Is this something I could do or would I need to bite the bullet and hire a professional at this point?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I see the red washer that Sylvan was mentioning.
One way would be to back flush the riser to the shower arm. The arm is a 1/2" thread, which means a hosebib could thread onto that, and then using a washer hose and a garden hose, you could perhaps push out whatever is in the riser.

Or since you have access to the back, sometimes it's a good idea to modernize with a single handle with pressure balancing. Moen makes a good repair trim for that, and so does Delta.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks