Central Air - Hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

Coopns

Reaction score
I see adds for Central Air via hot water pipes. I have baseboard forced hot water heat. Any advice/recommendations/expense?

(Wasn't sure which forum)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not up on everything by any means...but, if you were to add a chiller and tried to run cold water through your baseboard system, you'd have a real mess on your hands! The condensation would create a huge mess and it wouldn't work very well.

It is possible to run chilled water through a hydro/air heat exchanger, but it needs a fan to move the air into ducts and some means of condensate dispursal/drainage.

There are high velocity, small round duct systems that can be retrofitted, and many choices on minisplit a/c units that may be easier to install in a home that has no existing ductwork.

Basically, you need to move the hot/moist air over a cooler surface, draw some moisture out when it chills the air, then get that air to the room(s) where you need it. Not going to happen with a simple radiator without fan(s). then, you have to deal with the condensate.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Point me to one of those ads- I have no idea what they're hawking (and just when I thought I'd seen EVERYTHING!!)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When they used chilled water for air conditioning, the "radiators" were installed at the ceiling because cold air falls down, and they also had to have a trough to collect the condensate and direct it to a drain point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks