Central Air Condition in storage

Users who are viewing this thread

Geo422

Reaction score
I like the thinking or advice on this , is it a good ideal to install a 12 year old air conditioning unit that beennin a storage shed for 12 years .. it was removed from another house.
I need a new furnace and AC my wife wants to use this old unit instead of buying a new AC with the furnace..
I am thinking it be a very bad decision but wanted to ask the experts.. George

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
No and probably no. What is the tonnage of the AC unit and size of your home. The model number tells the story. There may be a build date. How long was it used before storage?

Look at the refrigerant type. If it is R22 bring it to your hazard waste site. R22 by law has not been used since 2012 and after 2020 R22 can no longer be imported.

If it’s R410a there is a chance. First you’ll need a tech that can find a matching air handler unless that is also in storage. After an install there be no guarantee that it’ll work. If it compressor unit was properly disconnected with the valves closed there is a chance. If you have the old air handler the lines might have been just cut and allow contaminates to enter. Another is the best it may be a Seer 12. If it is R22 it will be a Seer 10 or lower. Today, Seer 15-16 is common with the proper air handler.

Just will not be worth it. For Ohio AC only is needed a few months of the year and if you go with the old unit, on the hottest day of the year is when old units crap out. In the gulf states a system can be replaced usually by tomorrow, not sure if that can happen in Ohio. Nothing worse than having a hot wife!

Fitter30

Reaction score
If the lines were silfos closed might consider it. But condenser fan will have to be taken apart and oiled if theres no oil ports. Unless this condenser happens to be a high efficiency unit seer is around 10. Check with your utility companies for rebates and there still could a tax break this year.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I like the thinking or advice on this , is it a good ideal to install a 12 year old air conditioning unit that beennin a storage shed for 12 years .. it was removed from another house.
I need a new furnace and AC my wife wants to use this old unit instead of buying a new AC with the furnace..
I am thinking it be a very bad decision but wanted to ask the experts.. George

Replacement time is an opportunity moment to get the sizing right. Almost all hot air furnaces installed out there are 3x+ oversized for their actual design loads, and most AC is more than 2x oversized for their loads (often more). Yours is probably no exception. While oversizing the AC & furnace isn't a big upcharge in equipment costs (or even efficiency, assuming the ducts are reasonable for the cfm), it delivers a BIG hit in comfort. It's counterintuitive, but the smallest furnace that still covers the design load is the most comfortable.

If you have a heating history on the place, use the fuel use against heating degree-day data to MEASURE the 99% design heat load using this methodology. Odds are the BTU-out on the existing furnace is several times that big. ASHRAE recommends an oversize factor of about 1.4x the 99% load, which is more than adequate to cover Polar Vortex disturbance cold snaps with temps well below the 99% outside design temp. That delivers a ~71% duty cycle at the 99% outside design temp, and as it gets colder it's running even a bigger fraction of the time, with shorter off-cycles to let the chill sink in. But with multi-stage or modulating equipment it's often better (again, counterintuitive) to hold the line at 1.2x.

With oversized equipment the heat/cool is delivered in short bursts followed by an extended chill (or humid dwell, in cooling terms). With right sized modulating equipment it's running all the time at lower cfm, delivering a constant warm summer breeze (or cool sea breeze) rather than the hot-flash or arctic chill followed by an extended off cycle.

Before making any decisions on equipment it's worth taking a peak at Nate Adams' freebie down load chapters (of his book) & videos on his "Home Whisperer" page. Home Comfort 101, HVAC 101 & HVAC 102 are all pretty good non-technical primers on the topic of how equipment size makes or breaks making the house comfortable. (Nate's EnergySmart Ohio business is based in Cleveland- you're outside his normal service area, but he's spot-on with most of his approach. He also has a video channel where many related topics are covered in greater depth.) Most people have never lived in a house with the mechanicals right-sized for the load, and haven't a clue about how down sizing is usually better for comfort. Bigger is the opposite of better, but when in doubt, that's where contractors & homeowners alike both go!

A right sized multi-staged heat pump is probably going to provide more comfort than a right sized 1-2 stage gas-burner + split AC, but may be more expensive to install. But even a 1-stage gas-burner that's right sized along with right sized 1-stage AC is in most cases still way more comfortable than what most people have been living with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks