Cement board over drywall for splash guard

Users who are viewing this thread

RMG

Reaction score
Installed a vinyl shower with walls and had to fury the shower out from the wall an inch for plumbing. The vinyl walls go up to approx 68" so I want to add tile to the wall as a splash guard. I hung cement board over the existing drywall above the vinyl shower walls to fury the wall. My plan is to tile on the cement board (above the shower walls) And I'm wondering if this will pose a problem?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Attachments

• IMG_4404.JPG
    IMG_4404.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Generally, they do not consider the area above the height of the showerhead to be in a wet area, and many places survive well with tile just on the drywall there. Cement board is not waterproof, but it is not damaged by becoming wet. I'd put a layer of plastic behind the cbu to help prevent any moisture from getting behind it and affecting the drywall, but it's probably not needed. It would be if it were lower, but your shower enclosure is protecting what's behind it and should, if installed properly, be waterproof.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks