Ceiling supplies and Kohler K-303 Why Not?

Users who are viewing this thread

leorob

Reaction score
I am remodeling a shower and will be installing a Kohler k-303 Three valve shower valve (Hot, Cold & diverter).
For some reason the instructions say that I cannot use this valve with ceiling supplies.
I could certainly re-route the copper and bring the supplies in from below, but, for the life of me I can't figure out why they say not to use the three valve yoke with ceiling supplies.
(The also make a two valve yoke {without the diverter} and there is no such warning for this one).
Any ideas?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hate to burst your bubble, but unless I've overlooked it, that valve will NOT pass inspection on a remodel or new installation - it does not have the mandated anti-scald technology REQUIRED by code. Save yourself some hassles, ditch the Kohler, and install a different brand. Kohler changes their designs on a whim, and getting parts is really tough, not counting the code issues. They do make valves that will pass code if you decide to stay with them.

leorob

Reaction score
Your are correct....but

You are correct to a point.
Since I am replacing an existing 2 handle shower whose valves have gone bad, the city will let me install the valve in question.
If this were new construction, OR a major remodel you would be correct.
They will not force a homeowner to redo tile in a case like this.
So, my question remains....Why no ceiling supply?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
well, ceiling supplies might imply that you would turn the valve upside down for easy entry, and it may have a restrictor in the "up" outlet.

If you can get inside the wall to install a new 3 handle valve, seems like you could install a single handle, with a smitty trim of course.

I am surprised that Kohler still makes a 3 handle. PP does, but I am pretty sure the Moen and Delta do not.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

You can use ceiling supplies, you just have to drop them below the valve and come up into it from the bottom. With a 3 valve diverter, inverting it would reverse the operation of the diverter handle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks