Ceiling fan from hell

Users who are viewing this thread

WilburMcG

Reaction score
I wasn't sure which forum to post in but could sure use some help.

I bought a new Hunter fan but can't remove the old one. There is just no sign of how it should be removed and the Hunter website has nothing that has helped. Calling them didn't help either as I don't think the support person has ever used a screwdriver.

I have what is called a low profile mount. Normally you just remove the screws holding the canopy to the mounting base and it will drop down. But mine will not. I removed the three screws and it just wiggles a bit but won't drop. The other screw holes also do not have the 'drop' cutouts in them either. My unit is likely 25+ years old and the manual they have online isn't reflective of what I have.

Any further twisting or pulling is going to rip the plate out of the ceiling. I've applied some serious torque in all different directions, including pushing up and twisting. The other 2 screws are also removed.

2414C8E2-6C82-44DB-9D50-B3B522A5FEED_zpsov5sywln.jpg

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You may have to remove the blades and get to if from the bottom.

The older heavy ones used a Hook that Holds the weight of the fan.

Good Luck on your project.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The picture shows a rivet on the side we can see. What is on the other side? My guess is, it unscrews on the other side.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The picture shows a rivet on the side we can see. What is on the other side? My guess is, it unscrews on the other side.

Nice Try.

The problem is that even if you remove the screws you can not slide it down. No way them screws are holding the fan up. lol.

You start on the bottom and work your way up. Or at least I think so.

I guess you could go in the attic and get to it ?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I think that's a hole, not a rivet. Above that hole, it looks like the canopy has a tab of some kind bent inward. Maybe the whole canopy slides, rather than rotates, to get off the supporting piece. I've removed and rplaced and installed lots of ceiling fans, but never saw one like this; I'd love to know how this eventually works out.

WilburMcG

Reaction score
Sorry for not following up. The short version of how this worked out was I rotated it for the 483rd time and it just worked like it was suppose to, easy as pie. Turns out a loose washer was up in there and must had been binding something. It fell loose and I dropped the fixture just like it was supposed to be.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Ah, I have seen that before. Usually the problem is the canopy gets slid up between the screw head and the lockwasher (it's a lot harder than it should be to keep the lockwasher outside the canopy if you slide the canopy up after starting the screw(s), which is usually recommended). The the hooks on the lockwasher get snagged on the canopy and the support thingy and keeps the canopy up. The easiest way to avoid this is to not start the screws -- just hold the canopy up on the support, align the holes (usually 3, I use 2 awls to align 2 of the holes), and place the screws and lockwashers. Tip: buy the longest Phillips screwdriver you can find -- makes it much easier both to get these screws in and the fan blade screws into the rotor. I use a Snap-On SDDP216, which is expensive but worth every penny.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks