Ceiling box extender

Users who are viewing this thread

TaylorG

Reaction score
I have some ceiling boxes that are recessed more than 1/4". The boxes are metal. I got these Arlington Industries BE1R ceiling box extenders, but the wall of the extender hits the point on the side where the wires are coming into the ceiling box. Before I start cutting these ceiling boxes, I wonder if anyone knows of a better alternative?

31B3QoEbtrL._SX425_.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
1/4 inch? This drawing shows the unit you bought to be 1-1/2 deep. http://www.aimedia.co/media/line-drawings/BE1R.pdf Maybe that inserts into the box a variable amount? If that is the case, I might consider trimming clearance for your wires.

Are you planning to mount a lighting fixture? Are you looking for something like one of these?
f4440f85-8c23-41c6-bf02-673a51254a1d_1000.jpg

a541812a-2ae1-46aa-bf46-c3ba0edef5c1_400_compressed.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that that extender is designed to slid into the box. It wouldn't hurt if you notched on the bottom edge enough to have it clear the incoming wires on the side. As long as there is a ring intact between the box and the surface, it will work.

TaylorG

Reaction score
[I thought I had posted this earlier, but apparently it was just saved.]

Reach4: The lip of the ceiling box is recessed more than 1/4" behind the ceiling surface., but no more than 5/8". The first metal extender you show is for a 4" box, the second is for extending a ceiling box something like 1-1/2". There are metal extenders for switch boxes which slide into the box, giving you just as much extension as you need. I can't find anything like that for metal ceiling boxes. Where I found stuff on the Web about people extending ceiling boxes, they were using those plastic extenders, which slide into the box. Either plastic ceiling boxes are designed different from metal boxes, or there's a major flaw in the design of the plastic extender box.

I will be hanging fans off the ceiling boxes. The screws will go through the holes in the ears of the plastic extender and into the metal box, where the former extends the latter no more than 1/2" to 5/8". I think code requires no more than 1/4" recess because of flame barrier considerations.

Jim: Yeah, I have no alternative but to notch the box to get it over the wires. Just very strange design for this, where you have to hack the box to get it to work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks