CeFiONtect Cleaning Clarification

Users who are viewing this thread

bh5254

Reaction score
First post, so excuse me if this has been covered elsewhere, but I am in the process of deciding which toilets to install in a new home for my family and I am ready to pull the trigger on the Toto Drake II (C454CUFG-01). However, I am concerned about the disinfecting limitations (using only Dawn instead of a bleach based toilet cleaner) for a Cefiontect bowl. I have also seen random posts regarding pitting or the glazing wearing off. I cannot know for certain whether or not those individuals used more abrasive cleaners, but my main concern is that Dawn, while great at cleaning, is not a disinfectant.

To confuse matters even more, I am not certain that the Cefiontect is as fragile as Toto's guidance would lead you to believe. Their standard cleaning guidance is listed below:
DO
• Use a mild dish detergent to clean your lavatory.
• Use a gel-based toilet bowl cleaner.
• Use a soft cloth to clean your lavatory.
• Use a soft-bristled plastic brush to clean your toilet.

DON'T
• Don’t use cleanser, polishing powders or detergents that have gritty or coarse particles.
• Don’t use bleach, chemical thinners, or products that include acid or alkaline detergents in their ingredients.
• Don’t use metal scrub brushes or steel wool.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cefiontect-instructions.pdf

However, I have also found contradicting information regarding cleaning a Cefiontect glaze, which was in a document linked to Toto's (Russian?) website.

Cleaning and care
The CeFiONtect glaze makes ceramics far easier to clean. There are practically no special cleaning instructions for this very hard, durable and smooth surface, which can stand up to pressure washers, disinfectants and aggressive non abrasive cleansers. In most cases, the ceramic surface should be cleaned regularly with a clean, moist cloth. If it is necessary to use a cleanser, we recommend a slightly acidic cleanser with vinegar or citric acid to prevent lime scale, or an alkaline cleanser to eliminate oils and fats. TOTO always recommends using cleansers without abrasives. Please avoid using aggressive cleansers to help the environment. You can use any conventional toilet bowl cleaner and a toilet brush for your toilet.

https://totorus.ru/totorus/upload/shop_6/1/8/4/item_1848/shop_property_file_1848_3400.pdf

It would be helpful to hear of anyone's experience using (or knowing of someone else using) a disinfecting cleaner on a Cefiontect bowl (against Toto's recommendations) to see if there is any adverse impact to the glaze.

rest_in_pasta

Reaction score
As long as there are no abrasives in the cleaning solution, you could use any toilet bowl cleaner. The Works brand toilet bowl cleaner is straight up hydrochloric acid, so be mindful of its fumes and you could send an email to Toto support about this product.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have been using liquid cleaners with a nylon Bristol brush. Lately using Dawn dishwashing detergent. The finish seems to hold up.
My water is pretty good though, homes on wells need more cleaning in the area. My water comes from the rivers.

Larry S

Occasional DIY'er
Reaction score
The Works brand toilet bowl cleaner is straight up hydrochloric acid, so be mindful of its fumes and you could send an email to Toto support about this product.
But the CEFIONTECT instructions say not to use products that include acid. I started looking at this because I noticed the cleaners we usually use either have bleach (Clorox brand) or hydrochloric acid (Lysol brand). I'm still looking for the answer

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
But the CEFIONTECT instructions say not to use products that include acid. I started looking at this because I noticed the cleaners we usually use either have bleach (Clorox brand) or hydrochloric acid (Lysol brand). I'm still looking for the answer
I've been using Dawn detergent for a while now. Heck, I wash my hands with the stuff too, and it cleans my toilet bowls.

Costa

Reaction score
I have been using liquid cleaners with a nylon Bristol brush. Lately using Dawn dishwashing detergent. The finish seems to hold up.
My water is pretty good though, homes on wells need more cleaning in the area. My water comes from the rivers.
Hi,

What brush do you use exactly? My Ultramax II toilet has some red stains - I've been reading here https://www.hkywater.org/education/i-didnt-know-that/pink-stains-in-your-toilet-bowl that it's a bacteria called Serratia Marcescens. They recommend using bleach to get rid of it, which toto doesn't recommend!

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks