cavitation and pump won't build pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

red2.7

Reaction score
Hi out there
I replaced my shallow well pump to get more pressure to a second floor shower. I bought a 3/4 hp 30/50
red lion from home depot. It is connected to an expansion tank and a 10 ft deep well. The pressure switch closes and then the pump will run on and on and not build pressure. If I shut off the pump for a second or two and restart then, the pressure builds normally . Next time the pressure drops it's the same thing all over again. The pressure side of the pump has a priming port to which I installed a valve to bleed air out and prime but it still goes through the same cycle. Why would shutting off the pump momentarily "fix" the problem ? Anyone had a similar issue? It's spring and the water table is high.

Thanks
Wally

Reach4

Reaction score
red2.7, try searching this forum for sha ving (without the space) for a method of finding vacuum leaks.

red2.7

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a suction leak. Probably right where plastic pipe screws to the pump.

You were on the right track with a vacum leak. I re-sealed the threaded fittings and still had the same problem. So I switched from white sealant, cleaned the fittings and used tapeit was better so I knew I was on the right track. I took it all apart again and used tape and sealant and then it was ok.
I did not like the pvc fittings much cause they would thread into the pump and check valve completely by hand. I could not find any 1 1/4 barb fittings in metal so just a ton of tape and sealant did the trick. Thanks for the advice. I will now tackle the other hundred chores around the house.

Wally

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks