Cause of poor toilet flushing

Users who are viewing this thread

brb

Reaction score
Pic 1.JPG
Pic 2.JPG
Hey everyone! I am having issues flushing my toilet in the basement of my house as in you have to hold the lever down until the whole tank empties into the bowl. I am adding a 1st floor bathroom and discovered that the basement bathroom empties into the CI 4in main drain with a 45 wye right after it passes through the back flow preventer. See pic 1. I was installing a new back flow device and decided to just try the toilet to see what happens. Turns out the water is running back up the pipe to the dirt as seen in pic 1 with the gap between the pvc and the other fitting. . I had it all apart today and am wondering if the fitting needs to be changed to a 4in with a long sweeping fitting like in the picture 2. The pipe going to the street is clear from what I can see. The basement bath is vented with a 2in pipe but I can't see exactly how it is vented in the walls etc.

Dgeist

Reaction score
Have you checked the flow on the CI drain downstream with anything other than the toilet? You may be encountering a blockage that needs to be cleared and the toilet's flow is just a hapless victim. That long sweep enters the wye at the same angle as the other one. You might get a tiny bit more velocity on the slug, but depending on the problem, that might not make anything better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks