Caulking tub spout question, with clear

Users who are viewing this thread

Barbara Lesniak

Reaction score
I just got a new tub spout. My tub is 35 years old and the only spout I could get is not as long as the old one so there's a decent sized gap between the wall of the shower and the spout. I tried to caulk it, but the caulk I put on the underside of the spout fell out into the tub. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!! Any information on getting dried caulk out of the bottom of a tub would also be appreciated!!

Reach4

Reaction score
How much gap? Is that a steel nipple that the new spout is screwed to? Get a new brass nipple that is shorter by the amount of the gap.

If you are asking how to get caulk pieces out of a drain where they fell, try a vacuum cleaner.

Barbara Lesniak

Reaction score
How much gap? Is that a steel nipple that the new spout is screwed to? Get a new brass nipple that is shorter by the amount of the gap.

If you are asking how to get caulk pieces out of a drain where they fell, try a vacuum cleaner.

The gap is about 1/4 inch. I'm not sure what a steel nipple is. There is a screw that holds the spout in place. The biggest problem is that I cannot find a spout that has a long enough neck so that it is somewhat flush with the shower wall. Thanks for answering!

Reach4

Reaction score
Usually if you have a setscrew, you can push the spout closer to the wall after loosening the screw. How about a photo of what you see at the wall when you pull the spout back off?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
delta-tub-spout-install.jpg

There are several ways to install a tub spout. If yours is a copper tube that prevents the spout from sliding on all the way, it may need to be cut back some.
I don't normally caulk the bottom of a tub spout, I do caulk around the top and sides.
A flat razor blade will cut the spilled caulking off from the tub.

And make sure you use a clear caulking for the tub spout. Look how awful white looks on this nice tile that I found in a hotel room.

tub-spout-white.jpg

Clear, not white

Last edited:

Barbara Lesniak

Reaction score
Usually if you have a setscrew, you can push the spout closer to the wall after loosening the screw. How about a photo of what you see at the wall when you pull the spout back off?

Thank you so much. I think you just completely solved my problem. Don't worry, I'll write back if it doesn't, ha ha.

Barbara Lesniak

Reaction score
delta-tub-spout-install.jpg

There are several ways to install a tub spout. If yours is a copper tub that prevents the spout from sliding on all the way, it may need to be cut back some.
I don't normally caulk the bottom of a tub spout, I do caulk around the top and sides.
A flat razor blade will cut the spilled caulking off from the tub.

Thank you very much for the information. I passed it on to my husband, who purchased the replacement spout. Between the two of us I hope we will be able to figure it out. We are so out of the loop with DIY, you'd think we were attempting brain surgery!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks