Caulking toilet base

Users who are viewing this thread

AfroJoJo

Reaction score
After much thought and research, I have decided to caulk around the new toilet base. I have these 3 caulking options available. Which one should I go with, or should I go with something else? Is white ok or is clear a better option?

Attachments

• caulk.jpg
    caulk.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,182

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would use Polyseamseal clear caulk. I think silicone can be difficult to remove if/when you need to remove the toilet. Either will work as far as caulking is concerned.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I prefer a clear caulk, as the whites never seem to match anyway. It's a much cleaner look, especially on tile.

The later part of the video shows how we caulk a bowl.

loctite-tub-tile.jpg

toilet-white-caulking.jpg

Look how bad this white caulking looks in this hotel room I stayed at. Clear would have looked much better.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
In your photo, the Loctite 2-in-1 product, the tube on the right, is what we (and they) used to call Polyseamseal, and it has several advantages, including ease of removal and cleanup. The tub and tile version has some anti-mold stuff in its formulation, so use that and you're good to go.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Did you leave the back of the toilet uncaul
I ended up doing what Terry suggested and bought a tube of the clear stuff.

Did you leave the back of the toilet base uncaulked?

You've probably seen in your research that this is commonly done by some of the pros, so that if there is ever a leak in the wax seal (or whatever interface you use between the toilet and the closet flange), you can get evidence of the leak hopefully before it rots your subfloor.

toilet-mold.jpg

A fully caulked toilet that trapped the water underneath. That's green and white mold there.

Last edited by a moderator:

AfroJoJo

Reaction score
Did you leave the back of the toilet uncaul

Did you leave the back of the toilet base uncaulked?

You've probably seen in your research that this is commonly done by some of the pros, so that if there is ever a leak in the wax seal (or whatever interface you use between the toilet and the closet flange), you can get evidence of the leak hopefully before it rots your subfloor.
I was originally going to do that, but decided to caulk all the way around. The main reason for this is a toddler aged boy. He gets a lot of water on the floor from the tub next to the toilet, and possibly will be getting urine on the floor around the toilet once he starts standing. If I didn't do the entire base, I don't know that I would of done it at all. But the good thing is I would still be able to see leaking from the basement below.

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
Wow, Terry, great video! Your son made carrying the toilet look so easy-no way am I trying that! I have a question about the part where Jamie caulks the bowl. I noticed he seemed to make the area damp first, then applied the caulk. I thought the area around the base had to be totally dry so the caulk didn't trap and seal any moisture in? (Obviously I am not a plumber or handyman, just a clueless homeowner trying to do things correctly)

To AfroJoJo-you're not the only one who puts "much thought and research" into toilet decisions-LOL

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I thought the area around the base had to be totally dry so the caulk didn't trap and seal any moisture in? (Obviously I am not a plumber or handyman, just a clueless homeowner trying to do things correctly)

We always clean the floor first. The caulking we use is a water cleanup anyway. A damp sponge works great.

toilet-mold.jpg

A fully caulked toilet that trapped the water underneath. That's green and white mold there.

Last edited:

Glennhvac

Reaction score
Just double checking to see if that Loctite caulk I got was good to use. Gonna switch to clear though. Sick of this toilet creeping a bit. Nice touch with that two handed tank flip above the bowl outside.:) Also nice to know I'm not breaking any laws all these years by not following the ring instructions. I'll have to see it to believe it when they say to stick that thing on the bowl and then set it onto the flange.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
in our area, the inspectors check the back of the bowl to see if the caulk was left out, and if so they reject the job.

Yes, in Arizona. Not in Washington State though. Here they want the back left alone. Their thinking is that if the wax rings fails on a wood floor, it's better to know right away before the floor rots out.
On a concrete floor with dirt below, I can see where you might have ants. Lots of ants.
bug.gif

OMG!! It's even on my computer screen!!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wow, Terry, great video! Your son made carrying the toilet look so easy-no way am I trying that! I have a question about the part where Jamie caulks the bowl. I noticed he seemed to make the area damp first, then applied the caulk. I thought the area around the base had to be totally dry so the caulk didn't trap and seal any moisture in? (Obviously I am not a plumber or handyman, just a clueless homeowner trying to do things correctly)

To AfroJoJo-you're not the only one who puts "much thought and research" into toilet decisions-LOL

We like to clean the floor before we caulk. A little moisture with this caulking is fine. It dries by the next morning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks