Caulk-to-wall toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jakko

Reaction score
Hi, Terry;

I'm tired of pretending to try to clean behind a toilet. It's virtually impossible; most gather filth the entire life of the house. Most designs are still 19th century, and not at-all thought out. I want a floor mount--much easier to install than a wall mount and I'm doing most of it myself--that is fully-skirted and plumb up the entire back so I can caulk it to tiled floor and wall. I know the manufacturers don't like that. Too bad. I can see how to do it without hiding any leaks.

I'm turning a small bedroom into a bathroom. The "rough in" can be anything I want it to be.

The other thing I need from a toilet is standard height. 3.5 billion years of evolution designed human beings to defecate in a squatting position, not sitting on a throne. We've all been "caught short" out in the woods and had to leave a deposit in the bushes; if you pay attention to your own body, you'll remember how quickly and easily everything slid out of you. There's a "kink" between your colon and rectum, that helps keep everything in until you want it out. You only open that kink when you squat; trying to go in any other position is more difficult, and ADA toilets are the worst. People die straining on the toilet, especially elderly people, of heart attacks and aneurisms and strokes; even just blowing out a hemorrhoid is a whole lot of fun. Not. King George II, Britain, died on the W.C. of a ruptured aneurysm; Brit satirist Evelyn Waugh, of a heart attack; and Elvis Presley died of a heart attack straining on the toilet. (Pp 101-102, You Don't Know Sh*t, Mayer, Stort, von Jahnes.)

ADA toilets kill.

If you pay attention to your body, you'll have noted that it is a little harder to "go" on a standard-height toilet than squatting; much harder on a "comfort" height, even worse on an ADA toilet. I spent a week in the hospital last Fall, and I could not go on their ADA toilets--they had to set up a little potty chair for me. I didn't like it and neither did they. There's a reason half the people on the planet prefer a squat toilet; and there's a reason people buy "squatty potties," little stools for your feet to raise them to a more comfortable position while you're on the pot. And yet Congress mandates and manufacturers make taller and taller toilets all in utter ignorance of human anatomy. Homo "sapiens" is anything but.

Kohler makes at least two toilets with a square, vertical back. Unfortunately they have discontinued the 15 3/4 inch (which is too tall anyway) version of their affordable "Persuade" model. That leaves their Saile K-3564, with 15-inch rim, which is taller than I'd like, but it might do, except that it's about twice the price, and I don't like to settle for the first thing I find that might work.

If you're not familiar with this model you can view the spec sheet at https://media.efaucets.com/images/kohler/pdf/k-3564-spec.pdf . Please note the perfectly plumb, square back.

I see nothing I like by DuraVit, American Standard, or Toto, though I may not have discovered all of their models. But there must be dozens of mfrs I've never heard of, or been able to find visiting showrooms and surfing the 'net for months. Do you know of any other toilets made this way?

Thanx!
JO

Reach4

Reaction score
You can get a toilet with an in-the-wall tank.

You can get that toilet mounted within a range of heights including 15 inches.

Look into the Squatty Potty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks