Caulk Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Addison

Reaction score
Sorry to beat a dead horse. I can still feel a bit of water behind the caulk where the red circle is at. I verified that the valves themselves are not leaking. Is it possible that the water is getting into the track somehow and being forced there behind the drain pan lip?

Also, i keep reading mixed reviews so i need some help. The blue line indicates caulk that is ran between the drain pan and the glass walls. I keep reading to only caulk where the walls meet the pan; not where any of the glass pieces meet the pan.

I never noticed any weep holes on this neo angle shower; but is it possible that the reason i have slight water behind the red circle is because of the caulk the is between the glass pieces and the pan?

Possibly water is getting into the metal frame and cannot leave from the frame... so it just travels behind the plastic wall on the pan lip? Basically the caulk is causing the water no exit when it enters somewhere through the gold frame so it travels wherever?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
IMG_5722 (002).jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the perimeter of the pan perfectly level? If it is not, water can flow to the low spots.

Addison

Reaction score
i believe the pan is level. even if it was not level, how would water get behind the wall panel? Or how could it travel to the wall panel (it has to get in somehow)?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's unclear exactly what the problem is. Do you have water dripping out of the ceiling in the basement; soaked carpet in the adjacent bedroom ; unexplained water on the bathroom floor?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you walk around on the pan, is there any flex? Generally, caulk is not the thing that keeps moisture where it's supposed to be. It can make the joint look better. IF things flex, what may look like a good caulk joint may open up when things deflect...letting moisture get where it shouldn't.

IF the walls aren't plumb or the pan isn't level, water can get through where it shouldn't because the joints are not locking together properly.

Addison

Reaction score
I noticed that the pan does seem to have a slight flex in where appears to be near the drain. It is extremely minimal and hardly noticeable. I dont understand how the flex would cause moisture to build behind the caulk/panel though. I could understand the flex causing the drain pan to leak; but cant wrap my head around this one.

Addison

Reaction score
It's unclear exactly what the problem is. Do you have water dripping out of the ceiling in the basement; soaked carpet in the adjacent bedroom ; unexplained water on the bathroom floor?

There is no water from the ceiling, unexplained on the floor, nor anything soaked on carpet. The problem is that there seems to be moisture/water between the shower wall and the lip of the drip pan. To my understanding, there should not be any moisture/water collection behind the shower walls.

I live on a crawl space and do not see any water damage to the subfloor; so i believe the pan itself is not leaking.

Addison

Reaction score
Just a follow up; I removed all caulk from the inside track. Going on about 2 weeks and no issues. Seems to be draining properly and solved the problem... for now :) Thanks for all the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks