Cast replacement plan overview

Users who are viewing this thread

Nmantas

Reaction score
Hello all, whenever I do google searches to figure out plumbing issues I seem to always end up here so I figured I'd finally join and seek feedback of my own.

I have a split in a 3-4 foot section of 3" cast under my basement floor.......video here if you wish (bought a cheap sewer camera):

I figured out where the pipe goes, meticulously stripped the asbestos tile and adhesive, and cut the floor with a cheap electric wet saw and have my fittings laid out, starting with the underground-rated strong back 3" to 3" fernco (1056-33RC):

20220723-200849.jpg

Since 2" floor drain is so close to the run, it might need to get turned with an elbow (not pictured) to get pitched correctly to the 2" to 3" wye:
20220723-200907.jpg

Was keeping the 3" through the long sweep elbow and test tee then reducing it to 1-1/2" for the vent and kitchen:
20220723-200920.jpg

Replacing the combo wye that is somehow glued to galvanized?!? with a sani-tee and a proflex fernco to hook back to galvanized vent to the roof ( also dropping this line about 8 inches so it doesn't go through my joists........previous owner compromised several floor joists to the point where they need to be repaired):
20220723-201003.jpg

I have the 2018 Michigan code book but am DIY'ing it and have probably missed something and will take any feedback on anything you see. I also moronically didn't know that my homeowners insurance would cover it (the floor/wall aspect) and have a contractor from insurance coming out tomorrow morning that is going to quote the job for the insurance (retroactively including my work to this point which they will probably try to screw me and call it a $1200 job). At least the large contractor company (that subcontracts everything) does flooring and better honestly quote it if he wants the flooring job afterwards.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah your floor drain has an issue. You need a vent that must be vertical. In lieu of a vertical vent you'd need to wet vent it with a bathroom fixture on the same floor.

How deep is your main drain there?

Nmantas

Reaction score
It doesn't matter that the 2" floor drain is within 8 feet to the vertical vent to the roof (the galvanized pipe)? There are no other fixtures on this end of the house except for the kitchen sink that will hook up right where the galvanized starts. The 3" cast is right beneath the floor (I drilled a pilot hole straight into it to make sure I confirmed where the pipe is that you can see in the first picture).

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It doesn't matter that the 2" floor drain is within 8 feet to the vertical vent to the roof (the galvanized pipe)? There are no other fixtures on this end of the house except for the kitchen sink that will hook up right where the galvanized starts. The 3" cast is right beneath the floor (I drilled a pilot hole straight into it to make sure I confirmed where the pipe is that you can see in the first picture).
It doesn't matter. You have the kitchen tying into that drain from the floor above. Meaning it can't be used as a vent.

Nmantas

Reaction score
What are the easiest options? The 70 year old basement bathroom is also vented on another stack that includes the first floor bathroom so that is already way out of code and not an option (and it is on the other side of the house).

Can I tee into the vent stack directly above where the kitchen enters and run 1-1/2" as a vent pipe parallel to the 3" and tie it to the floor drain?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What are the easiest options? The 70 year old basement bathroom is also vented on another stack that includes the first floor bathroom so that is already way out of code and not an option (and it is on the other side of the house).

Can I tee into the vent stack directly above where the kitchen enters and run 1-1/2" as a vent pipe parallel to the 3" and tie it to the floor drain?
Yeah you could, but how will you keep it vertical? Since it inevitably will run horizontally under the slab you'll need to add a lavatory sink in the basement and drain it into the vent for the floor drain.

Nmantas

Reaction score
So I installed with the floor drain deleted due to the venting issue......then I bumped into an old family friend who is a mostly retired plumber. He said put the floor drain in just like it was and it will be fine so I threw one in. Inspector never even gave it a second look and signed off.

20220815-155849.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's commonplace to install floor drains with no vent. When people do this they are generally oversized to keep them from siphoning. It's not technically legal unless you consider it a combination drain and vent system which I think will fly with a lot of inspectors and plumbers. My boss just had me do one that I disagreed with. It was 2" and the drain was about 30 feet long. It is what it is.

Nmantas

Reaction score
I know contractor jobs will vary across the nation (in some cases drastically) but could any of the pros ballpark what they would have charged for a job like this (from the start of the 1-1/2" to where it joins to cast, 13' of under the slab work)?

Like my first post said, I didn't know my homeowners would cover it and now they are trying to low ball me to death.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your inspector didn't say anything about the floor trap because they are considered a "combination waste and vent" and the only requirement is that their is a vent for the drain line on the same floor. Floor traps do not require an individual fixture vent.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know contractor jobs will vary across the nation (in some cases drastically) but could any of the pros ballpark what they would have charged for a job like this (from the start of the 1-1/2" to where it joins to cast, 13' of under the slab work)?

Like my first post said, I didn't know my homeowners would cover it and now they are trying to low ball me to death.
3to 10k

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks