Cast iron, when to replace it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mmoy

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 3" cast iron main stack and am undertaking a basement remodel which includes a basement bathroom. I was quoted a price for jackhammering and attaching the shower/bathroom/laundry to the drain pipe in the basement floor of the bathroom over using a macerating pump.
First question is jacking the floor the best way of doing this for maintenance and cost? Next if they jack the floor should I get them to replace all the cast iron drain pipe in the basement floor, which would mean more cost? The cast iron pipe is 72 years old. Do you recommend preemptively replacing cast iron before it leaks or is that unnecessary?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Once the piping is exposed replace it with No HUB CI and long sweeps where applicable

IMG_2136.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
With a cleanout on the waste state

IMG_2145.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 3" cast iron main stack and am undertaking a basement remodel which includes a basement bathroom. I was quoted a price for jackhammering and attaching the shower/bathroom/laundry to the drain pipe in the basement floor of the bathroom over using a macerating pump.
First question is jacking the floor the best way of doing this for maintenance and cost? Next if they jack the floor should I get them to replace all the cast iron drain pipe in the basement floor, which would mean more cost? The cast iron pipe is 72 years old. Do you recommend preemptively replacing cast iron before it leaks or is that unnecessary?

as pros we see old pipe that good and old pipe thats bad. If you were buying a 100 year old house would you prefer all the piping and electrical behind the walls underneath the floors driveways and 100s of thousands of dollars work were new or old? is it a flip?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It all depends on how much of the floor would need to be cut up to replace the old CI with PVC or CI as Sylvan suggest. If the cost is no concern go for all of it. With limited dollars, go as far as where the finish floor will end, therefore, in the future if the CI needs to be replaced you're not breaking up flooring under the finished area.

Is there a sump pump, in the basement, for any french drain or gutters tied to the CI pipe for drainage to the sewer? For many old homes they were tied to the sewer system and many areas these would need to be disconnected on improvements to the plumbing such as what you are attempting.

Mmoy

Reaction score
as pros we see old pipe that good and old pipe thats bad. If you were buying a 100 year old house would you prefer all the piping and electrical behind the walls underneath the floors driveways and 100s of thousands of dollars work were new or old? is it a flip?

It is not a flip. It's my family home and I'm wanting to do the right thing before finishing the basement but also not breaking the bank. Also, had advice to get a home warranty that covers cast iron before construction in case anything is found that is recommended to be replaced then the home warranty would cover it.

Mmoy

Reaction score
It all depends on how much of the floor would need to be cut up to replace the old CI with PVC or CI as Sylvan suggest. If the cost is no concern go for all of it. With limited dollars, go as far as where the finish floor will end, therefore, in the future if the CI needs to be replaced you're not breaking up flooring under the finished area.

Is there a sump pump, in the basement, for any french drain or gutters tied to the CI pipe for drainage to the sewer? For many old homes they were tied to the sewer system and many areas these would need to be disconnected on improvements to the plumbing such as what you are attempting.

There is no sump pump but also wanting to add sump/radon system sine the jackhammer is already there and we are near the recommended level for radon remediation. Turns out wanting to get all the stuff under the finished basement done first is blowing up our budget. However, doing it later when it is needed would be more expensive.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I remember replumbing a tavern in Seattle on Greenwood that had been burned. The waste line for the kitchen sink had rusted through and we saw cut the floor and replaced the line.

Below is an old home in Tacoma that had rusted through cast iron that was replaced.

cast-to-abs-01.jpg

cast-to-abs-02.jpg

Stuff I took out.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If you search online, the opinion for the life expectancy of CI is 75-100 years old.

I’m not to sure about that home warranty thing. I can see after an inspection and having a waiting period, maybe a few months, before the coverage would kick in. No insurance company works where you buy a policy and in a short time period your going to have coverage when construction work commences. Every plumber would be selling these policies for them to make extra money. There are home warranties out there and plenty of them but you need to really read the fine print. There may be deductibles and the annual premium goes up every year since things are getting older. I've heard that a few had bought a warranty when they knew their Air Conditioning was going or water heater and did get away with a placement, but don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
mmoy I understand. its a hard question, where do you stop . Since its not a flip, still a point would be will you be there 3 years or 30? I personaly dont have a home warranty, I belive many are scams but cant really back it up, but I can think of a few homeowners that scam the warranty companys as well. A well repiped waste system could very well last your lifetime or childs , a 73 year old system Im going on a limb and saying it might not and more likely will need repairs and inconvieniance. I cant and no one can tell you which way will be cheaper, or If your just going to be out money and have problems anyway. Its a case by case decision

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks