Cast iron waste line flush with concrete slab, no hub

Users who are viewing this thread

BigAl

Reaction score
Thanks gents,
I made a drawing before I saw most recent posts. Rather than edit based on comments, I am attaching and it can perhaps be a basis for the following questions.
1. The OD of the CI is 5.5". Looking at the fernco Proflex series 3000 options, there doesn't appear to be one for that OD. However there is a 1056 series which doesn't provide the rigid support. As this will be vertical, I certainly understand the advantage of the steel collar. Is there a reason to not use the 1056-53 fitting in this instance?
2. Assuming a cleanout can be made from a 3" sanitary Tee and adapter, it sounds like it does not need to be at the bottom of the stack of Tees?

Attachments

• IMG_20201128_143510.jpg
    IMG_20201128_143510.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 166

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. The OD of the CI is 5.5". Looking at the fernco Proflex series 3000 options, there doesn't appear to be one for that OD. However there is a 1056 series which doesn't provide the rigid support. As this will be vertical, I certainly understand the advantage of the steel collar. Is there a reason to not use the 1056-53 fitting in this instance?
Above grade you need to use an ASTM C1460 coupling, like Proflex, which will be shielded. [There is a 1056-54RC shielded coupling, but it's still only listed for below grade use.]

It's important to be pretty exact with the OD, it's definitely 5.5" and not 5.4" or 5.6"? 5.25" would give you alot more options, but I imagine you're not that far off. If you look at the data sheet for 3000-55, you'll see the dimensions on the web page are off; the data sheet says 5.5" x 5.24" (XH CI 5" to CI 5").

Then if you could get a Charlotte NH40A Short Reducer 5x3 (which is 4" long), you could use a 3000-33 on top of that to adapt to plastic. Then a 3" x 2" street sanitary tee for the laundry, and a 3" x 1-1/2" street sanitary tee for the sink. [I assume you want a 1-1/2" tubular trap on your sink.] Then a 3" cleanout out, then your AAV.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
1002-44WCRC says 5.44 on one side and 4.55 on the other. That may be the shielded version.
1002-442RC 5.4 on one side, and 4.5 on the other. Not sure what that is.https://www.fernco.com/xl-couplings

I have a hard time thinking somebody would complain at you using one of those. They look impressive.

I am concerned that you did not say 5.50 or 5.493 or some such. 5.5 sounds like you are using a tape measure.

BigAl

Reaction score
closer measure with protractor hits 5 13/32. Parts ordered. Charlotte reducer was hard to find.
Thanks for the help!

BigAl

Reaction score
Update: Turns out the stub was clay not Cast Iron. Doh! And, it was cracked and didn't hold water. Further digging and removal of the stub revealed a hub in good shape. ID of hub is 6". I called Fernco and they recommended donut Part# 440-305 to transition from the clay hub to 3" PVC, not a typically stocked part. Can anyone recommend a source for such?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20201223_130316.jpg
    IMG_20201223_130316.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 166

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fernco's website says their donuts require exact diameter measurements, to the 1/32". So is the ID exactly 6 0/32", not 6 1/32" or 5 31/32"?

I think a donut to 4" PVC might be easier to find, then you could use a 4"x3" PVC bushing in the donut.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not an endorsement, but Menard's website has a lot of Fernco donuts listed:

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...eryType=allItems&Spec_FittingType_facet=Donut

The items are grouped by nominal pipe size with different options for different OD/ID combinations. This one is 5.97" OD x 4.5" ID (= 4" Schedule 40) but is listed under the 4" x 4" category:

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...ernco-4-x-4-donut/432-405/p-1444430431656.htm

Apparently there's some nominal 4" clay pipe where the hubs are 5.97" ID?

In case you've not seen the installation instructions:

https://www.fernco.com/downloads/installation-instructions/fernco-donut-installation

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hope you get a good fit on that . Im wondering how consitant the hubs would be from 29? back then they were using mortar and .030 or .040 wouldnt have made a differance

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hope you get a good fit on that . I'm wondering how consistent the hubs would be from 29? back then they were using mortar and .030 or .040 wouldn't have made a difference
Given that, is there a solution that involves mortaring in a piece of PVC or cast iron?

From the photo, I couldn't see any sort of interior ridge like you'd expect on a hub.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes I dont see a hub either looks like a piece of pipe going into the dirt. Clay pipe has evolved but clay really isnt wanted inside if it leaked outside a bit no one cared except the tree roots. out in the yard mortering it would be ok but withen the building probebly a more modern product be desired

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wish to install new waste line for washing machine and utility sink reusing existing cast iron drain which at some point was cut flush to concrete slab.
Now that you know this is clay and not cast iron, how confident are you that this drain is actually connected to the sewer, versus just abandoned? Seems like running a camera through it is called for.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks