Cast Iron Wall Hung Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremy Adams

Reaction score
My wife ordered a cast iron sink for our downstairs bath. I knew I was going to cut some drywall to mount a 2x4 or 2x6 to offer support for the mounting bracket. When I removed the drywall I found what I think is a vent pipe. There are no bathrooms upstairs or downstairs and the wall on the other side of the wall is the laundry room. I had a couple thoughts that I wanted to get some advice on.

This is the sink https://www.vintagetub.com/randolph-morris-30-inch-cast-iron-high-back-farm-sink-castsink30.html

Option 1 I was thinking I can still put a 2x6 across the studs and notch it where the pipe is. I would need to notch 3/4" out of the 2x6 leaving me 3/4" of wood left. The bad thing about this is I'm weakening the wood and in the future we move and someone drills into the pipe since the brace is covering the pipe.

Option 2 Can I cut the pipe and put a 90 and go through the stud on the left then up and then back right to connect to the original pipe going up.

Any other thoughts? I guess worst case scenario is I build a frame for the sink and treat it as a vanity.

Thanks

Attachments

• AEWX4864[1].JPG
    AEWX4864[1].JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 177
  • BCOP8531[1].JPG
    BCOP8531[1].JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 181

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Offset the vent to the back of the wall. 4 - 45's. Open more drywall than you need to make the work easier. Its just as easy to patch a small hole as it is to patch a slightly larger hole. Install the backing at the height where the sink bracket will go and install backing at the bottom of the sink so that it can't smoosh in the drywall. Make sure the drywall is 100% flush with the backing or it will crush that dead space.

Jeremy Adams

Reaction score
Offset the vent to the back of the wall. 4 - 45's. Open more drywall than you need to make the work easier. Its just as easy to patch a small hole as it is to patch a slightly larger hole. Install the backing at the height where the sink bracket will go and install backing at the bottom of the sink so that it can't smoosh in the drywall. Make sure the drywall is 100% flush with the backing or it will crush that dead space.

Thanks that’s a good idea. I will see how much space it saves me and will reduce the amount of wood I would have to notch or may not have to notch at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks