Cast Iron Tub Install Question

Users who are viewing this thread

prindle

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm planning to install the Kohler Villager in my bathroom in the next week and I'd like to get some expert advice if possible. I've got the old fiberglass tub out of there already. It's going over a concrete slab that looks to be in good shape. There's a little bit of a low point in the rear corner furthest away from the wall. Not too bad. There's a large square cutaway in the slab to allow for the drain pipes.

I'm planning to use three 2x4s as ledgers on the three surrounding walls. I'm also thinking I'll need to use metals shims under the tub's feet since the slab isn't perfectly level.

Does this sound like the right way to go so far?

Also, how on Earth am I going to hook up the drain/overflow pipe? I can't get in thru the surrounding walls or the floor. This is my biggest question mark so far.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Shims should work.

If you have no access after setting the tub in place, you're sort of stuck with using glued up fittings. And, you only get one chance, so things must line up nearly perfectly! Measure multiple times, or get a pro to do it for you. It also means that once in place, it will take some major effort to ever remove it again.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Why THREE ledgers? If the back is on a ledger, (and, a 2x4 is too thick unless you bevel the upper edge to fit inside the tub's space), and the apron is on the slab, HOW are the two ends going to move? You assemble the drain, measure VERY carefully, connect the drain to the "P" trap, then set the but down on to it, and install the drain plug and overflow plate. Once ANY tub is in place it will take a "major effort to remove it again".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks