Cast iron to PVC waste line transition in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

KristenJensen

Reaction score
Hello helpful denizens! Below is my scenario.

1956 residence in Maryland – 4” CI drain pipe is under (now exposed) slab basement – CI drain exits house under footer and is approximately 8’ underground on exterior of home.

I want to have my CI replaced with PVC for my whole house complete renovation. The 18” perimeter you see is for an upcoming French Drain install.

Exterior of CI pipe is no longer smooth, and I worry this may affect the seal of a Fernco Proflex Shielded 3000-44 rubber coupling. (shielded or unshielded for underground CI to PVC?).

How far from the wall would you cut the CI (given I will have a French Drain)?
Would you cut with a CI chain pipe cutter, 4” Angle grinder, metal SawZall?
Any suggestions regarding my plan that anyone has are VERY welcome?

I may hire a plumber for this, but still want to ensure they follow best practice. Thanks!! and pics are attached.

Attachments

• CI pipe exits beneath footer.jpg
    CI pipe exits beneath footer.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 20' of CI Waste pipe to exit.jpg
    20' of CI Waste pipe to exit.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 157

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Exterior of CI pipe is no longer smooth, and I worry this may affect the seal of a Fernco Proflex Shielded 3000-44 rubber coupling. (shielded or unshielded for underground CI to PVC?).
Underground can be shielded or unshielded, but not the Proflex coupling. They are all a style that is 4" long, rather than 2" long like the above ground Proflex. Fernco 1056-44 for unshielded, 1056-44RC for shielded.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks