Cast Iron Sink Vent Line Clearance Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

TheGreek

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 1930's Standard Cast Iron Sink that is wall mounted. I have the factory mount. The issue is that the mount requires a 2x6 in the wall, flat facing between the studs, to handle the bracket and the weight.

The unit hangs from the top lip. The bracket hangs down about 3 inch or so.

Since I need to have the vent line turn horizontal 6 inches above the flood rim, I have a problem. The top of the cast iron back is 9.75 inch above the flood rim. Take the 3 inches I need for the 2x6 to hang down to mount the bracket and that pushes the bottom of a 1.5 inch vent line 5.25 inches above the flood rim. The top of the sink (flood rim) will be at 40 inches above the floor.

Since the wall is 2x4 I could run the vent up against the back of the Sheetrock and the back of the block, but that is not a good idea in any case.

Any creative solutions out there? Or, do I have to make a compromise of squeezing the pipe between the block and the sheetrock or by being 3/4" too low on the flood rim measurement?

bracket_smaller.JPG
sink_smaller.JPG
wall_smaller.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could install your drain and vent off to the side of the sink and extend the trap arm horizontally under the sink.

But since you have a 2x4 wall...
Since the wall is 2x4 I could run the vent up against the back of the Sheetrock and the back of the block, but that is not a good idea in any case.
Offsetting the 1.5" vent and even notching the blocking slightly will be just fine.

Also consider that the weight and leverage of the sink will be putting pressure on the bottom wings of the back of the sink which will want to crush into the drywall. Put blocking down there too.

TheGreek

Reaction score
The more I think about it...

I will notch all three stud's about 1/2' to 3/4 inch deep across about 10 inches (non-bearing wall). Then glue and nail plywood into the notch. I also plan when the plumbing, wiring and insulation are done to plywood the entire wall with 1/2 inch then either Dens_Shield or a mortar bed over that for the tile.

That should give me clearance for the pipe, be enough for screws to hold the bracket (effectively 1" of plywood) and cover the entire contact area of the sink to the wall to deal with any bottom corner cast iron inward pressure.

Thoughts?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like more than enough. Just have good photos of the vent location so that the screws don't have a chance to grab it.

I prefer plywood backing to 2x material which has more chance of cracking and splitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks