Cast iron sewer pipe replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Lisa Newsome

Reaction score
Guys I had about a 25 foot run of cast iron drain pipe in my crawl space that was completely clogged up. I rented a soil pipe cutter and removed it all. Now to replace it all with PVC 4 inch.

The problem is I only have a small access to the crawl space so I can't get a very long piece of pipe down there. How short would be a standard? I would have a lot of couplers and I'm afraid to slow the flow.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Usually comes in 10 ft pieces. If you cut it into 2 ft pieces and glued them together in the crawl space, that would not have a significant effect on the flow.

Lisa Newsome

Reaction score
There is no way of feeding pipes in from outside unfortunately.

I am thinking because of the size of crawlspace acess and angle, about 3 foot sections of PVC might fit down there.

Reach4

Reaction score
You might practice some gluing outside. You want to use enough force and twist when putting these together. There will be some connections you will want to use shielded rubber couplers with. The glued connections are cheaper.

Obviously the PVC to cast connections will be shielded couplers, but if you need to, you can use them for pvc to pvc. Probably a different part number. You want to measure your cast iron to know what couplers to get. I am not a plumber.

Lisa Newsome

Reaction score
So my original question still remains. How many couplers is too many? Thanks for responding but I'm not asking about rubber couplers or how to glue pipes together

Reach4

Reaction score
So my original question still remains. How many couplers is too many? Thanks for responding but I'm not asking about rubber couplers or how to glue pipes together
I thought I had answered that in #3 by saying that if you cut the pipe into 2 ft lengths and assembled them in a long pipe with glued couplers, that was not too many couplers.

Are you asking if you could make a 40 ft piece by gluing together 20 pieces using 19 couplers? Are you asking if you could instead use 40 1-ft pieces with 39 couplers? Or if the pieces could be 3 ft long? Yes. Yes. Yes.

Are you wanting me to say that 52 couplers are OK, but 53 is too many? That seems silly.

Last edited:

Lisa Newsome

Reaction score
Okay I understand. I wasn't sure if there was a "standard" or rules about it concerning waste flow.

It kinda sounds like its use what you have to situation.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. However I am confident that the glued couplers are not a big deal like elbows/bends are.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks