Cast iron sectional baseboards separated

Users who are viewing this thread

Loueber

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Fast question on old cast iron BaseRay baseboards from 1957. During my remodeling, i removed 8 foot sections of 12 inch tall cast iron baseboards to be stripped and repainted.
It seems they were put together in 2 foot sections. The sections attached to each other with what seems like 1 inch compressed pipes into each other, then held together with a simple bolt. One section did not have a bolt and it detached. I can slip it back in, albeit too easily. In other words, i cant see how in the world it will not leak. I took some pics of the way the 2 pieces attach and you will see that in the female side, the ring inside is not all that great from 70 years of rust. is there some sort of copper sleeves or something that will allow me to compress these 2 pieces back together? or can i some how cap the ends and make the entire baseboard 2 feet shorter? Or should i not even bother, and recycle them? I hate to get it all back into the house with a new floor, only for it to leak. Which brings me to my second question:
Is there a way i can pressure test these ? if so, what is the max pressure im looking for?
thanks !
Louie

IMG_20201006_152108.jpg
IMG_20201006_152111.jpg
IMG_20201006_152233.jpg
IMG_20201006_152244.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The "compressed pipe" is called a push nipple

No compound needed

After being disassembled especially after 70 years the sections should be replaced

CI baseboard is a lot better then fin copper

Loueber

Reaction score
The "compressed pipe" is called a push nipple

No compound needed

After being disassembled especially after 70 years the sections should be replaced

CI baseboard is a lot better then fin copper

Of the 4 total baseboards i removed, this was the only one that separated. It makes sense to not even try to reassemble. putting my finger in there, i can feel the rust deformed the female side.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
After 70 year it is time to retire it

2 feet of CI baseboard cost under $150 does it really make sense to risk having a leak?

Certain people figure their time means nothing and will spend hours trying to make some old part hoping to it reusable

Wire brushing , filing and hoping after it assembled it wont leak at the most inconvenient time such as no one home when it springs a leak

THINK how many cars would have been bought in 70 years .

Here you have 2 feet of rusted cast iron that never had any service performed and using common sense which is no longer common

You decide to use epoxy or some other nonsense to fix a cheap part and it does fail do you think you could win an insurance claim when they send some plumber or or adjuster to do a forensic investigation to find the cause of a failure?

Expansion joint (compensator) some moron decided to try using epoxy to st op a drip

Attachments

• expansionjoined.jpg
    expansionjoined.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 178

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
It split and flooded 112 stories below and caused several hundred thousands dollars of damages plus mold

Attachments

• EXpanson12.jpg
    EXpanson12.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 172

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
So I cut it out and replaced it . . The life expediency of plumbing is 40 years

Heating with thermal stress ( coefficient of expansion per degree of temperature changes) places these systems to last a lot less then "plumbing"

They be out there using some cheap band aid approach and this is why so many expert witnesses make an amazing living and the plumbers who replace what some handyman tried to repair

Attachments

• Expansion.jpg
    Expansion.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 170

Loueber

Reaction score
After 70 year it is time to retire it

2 feet of CI baseboard cost under $150 does it really make sense to risk having a leak?

Certain people figure their time means nothing and will spend hours trying to make some old part hoping to it reusable

Wire brushing , filing and hoping after it assembled it wont leak at the most inconvenient time such as no one home when it springs a leak

THINK how many cars would have been bought in 70 years .

Here you have 2 feet of rusted cast iron that never had any service performed and using common sense which is no longer common

You decide to use epoxy or some other nonsense to fix a cheap part and it does fail do you think you could win an insurance claim when they send some plumber or or adjuster to do a forensic investigation to find the cause of a failure?

Expansion joint (compensator) some moron decided to try using epoxy to st op a drip

Agreed, i will not take the chance to reuse it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks