Cast iron riser to toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

AfroJoJo

Reaction score
I have cast iron bend and riser that goes through the floor to a toilet flange. The toilet is wobbly and looks like the sub-floor might be soft around the toilet. I can see that one of the closet bolts is loose as well. The cast iron toilet flange looks to be very rusty looking at it from the basement below. My plan is to remove the toilet and flange, replace any plywood, and install a Sioux Chief PVC compression replacement assuming the cast iron flange is no good.

My concern is the cast iron riser that comes out of the bend looks to be at an angle going into the floor and flange. The side that its leaning towards looks to have some of the lead pushing out. Do these lead oakum joints have any flexibility to them that I could make it straight again? Then maybe re-caulk the lead?

AfroJoJo

Reaction score
The lead joints are rarely loose. A little bit of lean is fine, as most installs use wax anyway.
Thanks for the reply! Wouldn't the lean not let the compression gasket seal correctly?

EDIT: I added a picture.

Attachments

• 20170205_135004.jpg
    20170205_135004.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have to replace wood, that is one thing. But it is also possible that the wobble is due to lack of shims. Maybe you could have somebody rock the toilet up top a bit and observe below. To test the idea, you might even pick out some caulk up top and insert shims. If that makes the toilet feel solid, then floor flex would seem to not be the problem. You would still need to replace the seal, since wax will not stay leak-free if there is rocking. And once you pull the old toilet, you would be better off to install a new-better functioning toilet.

If you could pull the toilet and see what you have on top, you might find that the current closet flange is in good functional shape.

The wax or waxless seal is designed to fill spaces that might be somewhat uneven.

I am not a plumber.

AfroJoJo

Reaction score
The toilet doesn't move unless you really lean in one direction to tilt it. The floor seems level under it, it's just not held down at all by the closet bolts. I'm probably over thinking everything at this point. I'll just have to wait until I take the old toilet off when I start the project in a couple weeks. I am planning on replacing the old toilet and laying down new sheet vinyl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks