Cast iron radiator feed and return testing

Users who are viewing this thread

Campion1

Reaction score
Hello,
I am building a new bathroom in an extra bedroom I have. I needed to move my cast iron radiator from one wall to another. I first drained my boiler, I disconnected the radiator from the feed and return pipes, and then I tore up the floor. I then disconnected the old pipes and moved them to their new location. The nipples coming out of the floor have caps on them, so I can put the floor back down, and fill my boiler back up. I would like to leave the caps on the pipes so I can finish the renovation, drywall paint baseboard. Now here is my question before I put the floor back down I want to make sure I have no leaks below the floor. My boiler is filled back up with water but I am worried with the caps onthe pipes it might be air bound and there might actually be no water in the pipes. What would be a good way to test this? I don't want to have any leaks obviously in theroom below.

Leon82

Reaction score
I would have ran a tube from one pipe to another.

Depending how its run the cap may prevent the water from circulating.

Leon82

Reaction score
Your going to need to purge the air which will be impossible with those 2 vertical pipes capped.

Is your system run as a loop or does each radiator have its own set of pipes back to the boiler?

Campion1

Reaction score
Your going to need to purge the air which will be impossible with those 2 vertical pipes capped.

Is your system run as a loop or does each radiator have its own set of pipes back to the boiler?
Each radiator has its own pipes. I'm thinking about, draining the boiler, and installing a piece of pex to cross the two pipes.

Leon82

Reaction score
I did that for my remodel.

If you use a sharkbite type fitting when your ready to lay the tile you can drain a little water and pop it off, set the tile then slip the pipe back in

But on mine I left it below the floor. When I reconnected I ran the pipe thru the hole I made in the tile up to the baseboard

Campion1

Reaction score
I did that for my remodel.

If you use a sharkbite type fitting when your ready to lay the tile you can drain a little water and pop it off, set the tile then slip the pipe back in

But on mine I left it below the floor. When I reconnected I ran the pipe thru the hole I made in the tile up to the baseboard
That's a good idea, although my pipes are steel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks