Cast iron question for powder room

Users who are viewing this thread

Kurtjs86

Reaction score
So I’m remodeling my powder room( my house was built in the 40’s) and the subfloor was bad by the toilet and the flange was cracked. I tore out the floor and was going to use an expandable flange but I’m just not sure how serviceable the cast iron is. I was going to cut it right past the elbow and replace it with pvc if that’s the case but not sure if I have to. I just noticed the outside of the top of the pipe flaked off about an 1/8”. Where I’m pointing is the area that flaked off. Any inputs will be appreciated thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 136

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know what an expandable flange is.

I am not going to worry about something flaking off where your finger points, but I don't know what that cast iron thing is, nor what you intend to do with it.

How high is the top of that thing respect to what the height of the finished floor will be?

Is that spot a good place for a closet flange?

One option is to remove that thing from the elbow, and put a Fernco Donut into the hub of that elbow. Removing that is tedious.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would call that an inside compression closet flange. It would depend on the ID of the piece being pretty darned close to 4.00 inches. If you can clean up that ID, that seems like it would be a nice choice.

Another possibility would be one of the PushTite flanges. https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/search/~SEARCH_STRING=pushtite

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks