cast iron pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

gsecord

Reaction score
i have inch and a half galvinized pipe that is leaking.it goes into the cast iron pipe it is leaking at the joint .is there any way to replace it with pvc and also how would i seal it in the cast iron pipe.it is the tub drain line.
thanks
george

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The galvanized pipe is probably threaded into the cast iron. If so, just unscrew it and get an ABS adapter. This has male threads on one end and slip coupler on the other. If the pipe is not threaded, it is leaded in you'll need to get the lead out. Easiest way is to get a plumber to do it.

gsecord

Reaction score
gal pipe

yes it is leaded in that is where it is leaking.is there some way to cement pvc pipe into that opening after the pipe is out.do they make an adapter to fit into cast irin pipe.
thanks
george

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
They do make rubber "donuts" that pack into the hub and seal around the plastic...
Before you try that, if it is a leaded joint, try to re-caulk it...
By that I mean try to re-pack the lead in the joint by using a large flat screwdriver as a packing iron and a hammer...
Hit lightly and do not hit the cast directly..
Be careful not to crack the hub - might be brittle after all these years...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the galvanized is holey, it needs to go. If it is solid, packing the lead tigher has a good chance of helping.

www.fernco.com makes a big selection of donuts that would work once you get the old stuff out. Drill out the lead until you can dig it out and remove the old pipe. Clean out all of the old lead and oakum, a wire brush is good once you get the lead out, then follow the instructions to use the donut - basically it makes a compression seal and can be a pain to insert.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks