Cast Iron Pipe with odd size advice

Users who are viewing this thread

weightoomuch

Reaction score
I have 10 feet of cast iron pipe connecting an outside cleanout to a crawl space. As the pipe enters the crawlspace it is above ground and I am planning on connecting the existing cast iron section to a stick of 4" sch 40 PCV to drain and vent a bathroom. I went to make the connection with a Fernco Proflex P3000-4 that is shielded for above ground and made for 4" SV cast iron, and 4" sch 40 PVC. It does not fit. The cast iron pipe does not have the standard OD for 4" cast iron of about ~4.38. Instead the cast iron pipe has a OD of about 4.2". Have any idea what type of pipe this is? Coincidentally PVC Plastic SDR 35 Pipe has a OD of about 4.2. I was thinking about using a SDR 35 to PVC sch 40 no hub connector to make the connection, good idea?

Thanks,

weightoomuch

Reaction score
Some old cast iron is copper pipe size.

Thanks, do you see anything wrong with using the Fernco no hub mechanical connector for this?
It looks like the model for 4" Copper to 4" PVC is 3007-44, and the copper connections is made for 4.07".
I will have to go take another measurement on the OD of the cast iron, but I wrote down just about 4.19", very very close to SDR 35 Pipe at 4.22" that model number 3009-44 is made for.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks