Cast iron pipe replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

davisc

Reaction score
I have a cast iron soil stack that is suffering from the "graphitization corrosion" described in this article
<http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/ui/bu/grayfailuretype_e.html>
and need to replace it - it is about a 5 ft section in the basement that comes up off a Y branch with cleanout on the basement floor, and the pipe that feeds it is copper going into the upper flange. Top and bottom, lead & oakum I assume. ( House is 40 years old or so ).

What is the best solution for replacement? I've seen recommendations about ease of replacement vs noise etc, but I'd like to do this up right. One of corroded areas is right at the bottom, so cutting and splicing with the neoprene sleeves probably will not provide the best solution. How easy is it to remove the pipe at the flanges and what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Without pictures, it's a little hard to say.
Sometimes I remove the pipe from the hub fittings, sometimes I cut the cast, and use banded couplings.

You can make an argument for either plastic or cast iron replacement.
In most homes, I'm using plastic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks