Cast iron p trap under slab removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Mtnj31

Reaction score
Hello guys. I’m working on a bathroom remodel and I could use some advice. We were smelling sewer gas pretty strong and it appeared to be coming from the tub drain. I removed the old tub and saw the old brass drain assembly was cracked just after the connection where it met the cast iron p trap. The trap is cracked at the top and I want to replace it with PVC. I’ve read plenty on which couplings to use but the cast iron p trap OD is 2.5 in. I’m wondering what size coupling I could use to attach the 2.5 in cast to PVC once I remove the cast p trap. And can I attach a 1.5 in PVC trap for the tub drain to this? This size pipe isn’t too common from what I’m reading. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

9888772F-FB86-4425-9B8C-02F95272477F.jpeg
CD060C37-9E11-48FE-9B4A-2C34B253BA9B.jpeg
CE13838D-F338-4D68-868A-86C92E0CE27E.jpeg
75AC0A63-360F-436C-903A-2EDA5C31E74F.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
2 1/2" inch pipe has a diametor of 2 7/8 inch approx 2.875 with circumfrence just over 9 inches. sometimes the od on old castiron is out of round .
but according to your measurements your od is almost exactly 2.5 inches just about an 1/8th inch oversize for 2 inch, perhaps rust and crud?

Mtnj31

Reaction score
2 1/2" inch pipe has a diametor of 2 7/8 inch approx 2.875 with circumfrence just over 9 inches. sometimes the od on old castiron is out of round .
but according to your measurements your od is almost exactly 2.5 inches just about an 1/8th inch oversize for 2 inch, perhaps rust and crud?
There is definitely some rust and crud around that pipe. I guess I should see if I could scrape off some of that before I attempt to attach the PVC to it. Do you think I could use a transition coupling to attach that 2in cast to 1.5 in PVC trap? Or do 2 in PVC and transition to 1.5 at the drain. Thanks again.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is definitely some rust and crud around that pipe. I guess I should see if I could scrape off some of that before I attempt to attach the PVC to it. Do you think I could use a transition coupling to attach that 2in cast to 1.5 in PVC trap? Or do 2 in PVC and transition to 1.5 at the drain. Thanks again.

I like my p trap to match trap arm. So Id use a 2 inch trap if not too much trouble. Im thinking about whether to use a fernco rather than a shielded coupling. leaning toward the fernco!

Mtnj31

Reaction score
I like my p trap to match trap arm. So Id use a 2 inch trap if not too much trouble. Im thinking about whether to use a fernco rather than a shielded coupling. leaning toward the fernco!
Thank you so much for the help. I’m thinking the Fernco is the way to go too. Thank you again for the help, I truly appreciate it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you bet ! try to clean that up (outside of pipe) and I hope the coupling fits well. run a hose down and blast water good to clean it out and verify its clear , plus that the coupling seals. if there is a blockage adress befor building a shower

Mtnj31

Reaction score
you bet ! try to clean that up (outside of pipe) and I hope the coupling fits well. run a hose down and blast water good to clean it out and verify its clear , plus that the coupling seals. if there is a blockage adress befor building a shower
Will do!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
In re the coupling type, Fernco makes both unshielded and shielded couplings. To my understanding if the coupling is going to be buried in the soil, you're supposed to use the ~4" long rubber type where the shield is optional, rather than the ~2" long shielded type that's required above ground. That means you'll need 2" of pipe stub on each side for the coupling to connect to.

Cheers, Wayne

Mtnj31

Reaction score
In re the coupling type, Fernco makes both unshielded and shielded couplings. To my understanding if the coupling is going to be buried in the soil, you're supposed to use the ~4" long rubber type where the shield is optional, rather than the ~2" long shielded type that's required above ground. That means you'll need 2" of pipe stub on each side for the coupling to connect to.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks Wayne for the heads up on that. That info will help me out tremendously. I definitely don’t want any future leaks. Much appreciated.

alex rodriguez

Reaction score
I’m dealing with this same situation right now. How did you end up converting the trap to PVC? I can’t reach far enough in my situation to cut past the trap

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks