Cast Iron left after reroute

Users who are viewing this thread

Mkh210

Reaction score
Hello,

I just had a reroute done to remove cast iron pipes but the plumber left one piece of wet vent under the lavatory. Given how invasive this has been, I asked if he could change out so I don’t have to worry anymore. He said he does not recommend but I’m worried about it cracking or a tree root getting in like the other pipes they pulled out.
43A308B2-26E6-41E5-89DC-65C8502D6395.jpeg

They also messed up and started to put my new clean out in the wrong place so they had to use a no hub connector instead of a pvc coupling. I’m worried it might be more prone to leaks but the plumber claims it will be fine.
D1B4667A-B5E4-4533-84CD-F0BA4BB68441.jpeg

They also took out part of the vertical pipe to my kitchen sink but left a piece saying they don’t want to mess up any more brick but I feel like at this point, they may as well just replace it all.
685F8391-4D9B-4281-B849-99EA31374376.jpeg

Curious if any of this is worth fighting to get corrected or if it will be ok. My primary concern is the wet vent because I assume it will require tunneling again if it needs to be fixed later on. Any advice or reassurance would be greatly appreciated.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Without really looking at this stuff is probably too hard to have a definitive opinion. Is there a reason not to trust the plumber? I assume he's offering a warranty.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cast iron sweep is to a w/c? the PVC sweep with cast iron rising through floor kitchen?
I could go either way with those. busting out brick or drywall for kitchen no big deal Id like it changed through floor to the santee when I say no big deal its a few more hours and probably entail re doing the entire kitchen sink drainage. pulling toilet not too bad either but its just , labor , material and mess patching etc.... . issue might be did you pay for this work and they didn't do it? probably looking at a significant change order if not included.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mkh210

Reaction score
The cast iron sweep is to a w/c? the PVC sweep with cast iron rising through floor kitchen?
I could go either way with those. busting out brick or drywall for kitchen no big deal Id like it changed through floor to the santee when I say no big deal its a few more hours and probably entail re doing the entire kitchen sink drainage. pulling toilet not too bad either but its just , labor , material and mess patching etc.... . issue might be did you pay for this work and they didn't do it? probably looking at a significant change order if not included.
The wet vent I’m most concerned with is under the bathroom sink. I was hoping to not have any cast iron under the slab left but the plumber said he would have to jackhammer the floor to replace that part which doesn’t seem right to me. It seems like you could just cut the Sheetrock behind the vanity and go down.

Mkh210

Reaction score
The wet vent I’m most concerned with is under the bathroom sink. I was hoping to not have any cast iron under the slab left but the plumber said he would have to jackhammer the floor to replace that part which doesn’t seem right to me. It seems like you could just cut the Sheetrock behind the vanity and go down.
The sweep is under bathroom sink.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
No question its preferable to get that cast iron out. The more we do the more we make, So I don't see why he doesn't want the extra work? unless its a flat rate bid

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks