Cast iron flange replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Jchaffin

Reaction score
I’m replacing a cast iron toilet flange using Oatey 4” closet flange and the rim of the flange is hitting the edge of the soil pipe. Seems like I either gotta cut the subfloor or cut the pipe to get it to fit right. Subfloor cutout is already too big so not really sure if that’s the correct adjustment. Also confused what the correct depth of this flange is…should the flange be screwed down onto the tile? The welded holes on the underside of the flange used to secure the gasket to the pipe are nearly the same distance from the center of the flange as the holes used for bolting the flange to the subfloor/finished surface. I could replace the tile and make the cutout with a smaller hole saw, but seems like I’d have to get crafty with an angle grinder in order to get a flush mount fit?

B3AE4C49-AE6F-4AF5-9413-82AB8FBF0E4B.jpeg
FCB64E40-2A65-479E-B093-0BE6ED8C9FBD.jpeg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Instant set flange sets, like you have are designed to have the pipe come up flush to the top of the gasket.
The flange is meant to screw in to the flooring...and yes, it is a bear to cut around the flange because the bolt holes are so close!
Your hole is definitely looking too big to secure the flange properly.
Pasco makes a clumsy square version.
The flange must be secured with S.S. or similar non-corroding screws, to the floor for any closet flange
1667973792206.png

Reach4

Reaction score
You would need a 4 inch pipe to go with that flange anyway. The pipe in your photo seems smaller. What OD is your pipe?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks