Cast Iron Flange do I need to remove this?

Users who are viewing this thread

MattinLa

Reaction score
Hi all,

Read a bunch, but I'm not sure I've seen an answer to this question. I'm re-tiling my bathroom and am now dealing with the old cast iron flange. I'm wondering if its ok to leave the old flange in place and install this Oatey flange (see picture) right down inside the cast iron drain pipe (I realize I"ll need to clean up the interior of the cast iron pipe in order get the Oatey flange installed). My concern is that I may damage the cast iron pipe when trying to remove the old flange. And seeing as this Oatey flange will be going on the inside rather than the outside, maybe its best to leave the old flange in place? I will be replacing some of the water damaged floor boards and installing some blocking on the joists. I figure I could drill holes through the old flange in order to mount the new flange to the new subfloor/blocking.

Thanks!
Matt

Attachments

• 1 Closet Flange-7374.jpg
    1 Closet Flange-7374.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 2 Closet Flange-7375.jpg
    2 Closet Flange-7375.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 3 Closet Flange-7345.jpg
    3 Closet Flange-7345.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 186

MattinLa

Reaction score
I normally leave the cast flange in place and reuse it. New closet bolts while you are at it.
Ok I never considered that. It'll be about an inch lower than the finished floor once complete. When I took out the old toilet it looked like there were 2 wax seals stacked on top of each other. Is there a preferred method to make up the difference between the flange and the toilet?

Reach4

Reaction score
Take a look a the Danco Hydro Seat is like repair ring with a tail. It maybe useful for the less experienced.

Or enough wax is good. Just don't de-compress wax. Have shims in place before dropping the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks