Cast Iron Bathtub Support

Users who are viewing this thread

Nathan246

Reaction score
Remodeling a 1960's bathroom. The original floor was a 2" mud bed, which I'm going to replace. It looks like the bathtub was originally supported by the mud bed. The bathtub is still in the same position, has not moved. The bathtub sat 1/4" into the motar. The mud bed was removed, so between the bathtub and the slab foundation there is 1 3/4" space about 4" back from the front of the tub.

So my question is now, how do I provide support for the front of the bathtub? A 2x4" board fits perfectly, but I don't think having a block of wood is a good idea, when I put down the new mud bed I don't think having wood in contact thinset bond to the motar is a good idea. I had a 2" concrete block cut, angle grinder, to size but using a rubber mallet tapped into place it broke in half, also not good. If I put 3 1/2" + 1 1/4" cement board strips together, that would bond perfectly with the thinset used to bond the motar to the floor.

Questions, concerns, comments, or clarifications, all is welcome. Thank you!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks