Cast Drain Pipe Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

boilerpilot

Reaction score
Good Morning!

I just purchased a home built in 1959 on a slab foundation. About a week after we moved in, one of the toilets starting backing up into the shower. We planned to renovate the bathroom, so I pulled the toilet and tried to auger with a hand/drill auger. Nothing worked (tried the drain line, vent stack).

A plumber came out and a larger auger didn’t work either. The same plumber brought a hydrojet and was able to punch through the clog.

A camera was run through the drain—there was calcium polyps that reduced the drain’s diameter by about 20-25%.

Here’s where we ran into an issue. The contractor recommended that we descale the cast iron drain, but warned the equipment could break the pipe if it’s in bad shape. The alternative would be to replace the pile for big money.

A second plumber recommended the replacement.

A third opinion said that a pressure assist toilet with thin toilet paper would solve the problem.

We’re only going to be in the house for 2-3 years, so we don’t want to overspend.

Having three different opinions, we’re kind of stuck on what to do.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Older homes do well by treating them with sometime that eats away the organic matter that accumulates in pipes.
I use Bio-Clean in my home. For $50 it's worth a try.
As for toilets, Kohler makes the K-3493 pressure assist that works well.

BIO-CLEAN
is... a blend of bacteria and enzymes. The bacteria are natural, not genetically-engineered. The enzyme concentration is the most powerful on the market.

SAFE
Bio-Clean is non-poisonous. It creates no heat, no fumes, no boiling. It does not attack live tissue nor inorganic materials, only organic wastes like grease, hair, food particles, paper, cotton & sewage. This makes BIO-CLEAN safe for people, plumbing and the environment. BIO-CLEAN changes the waste particles into water, carbon dioxide and mineral ash which run harmlessly out of your waste system. These elements are then available for plant life.

EFFECTIVE

Within an hour after pouring the bacteria into the drain, the bacteria begin to eat their way into the waste that has accumulated on the sides and top of the drain pipe. This is their natural food. They digest the waste and spread throughout your system, cleaning it completely.

MULTIPURPOSE

• Residential and commercial applications
• All drain and sewer pipes, including:

bio-clean.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Normally I use s 3/4" cable with a a 2 U cutter to start off with or the "Clog Chopper" made by general is great for negotiating turns and cleaning the inside of piping without placing stress on piping walls

Once I establish flow then I would consider using a water Jetter 4,000 PSI 4 GPM to scour the lines to remove grease , soap deposits etc

If the plumber has chain knockers and a manual feed on this cable machine he /she can run the cable in at a slow speed and have water flowing to wash debris down stream . If the video inspection did not show major defects then this video should show what a chain knocker can do

The Clog chopper is my cutter of choice

My second choice wild be chain knockers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=b1agWFmn9-o

I was given a sample of Bio Clean and it did work but it was slow acting and my account was in a hurry to establish full flow in a commercial application

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks