Cast drain: horizontal to vertical (main stack)

Users who are viewing this thread

JaCkaL829

Reaction score
Hello,
I have some older cast iron drain pipe I believe 4” that ties into the main vertical stack that need to be replaced due to cracking from within. This only services a toilet and sink for a powder room. I would like to replace with 3” PVC and follow the same path as what’s in there now. I’m just wondering if I can make the same transition horizontal to vertical that is already there with 3” PVC and a regular 45 elbow? I plan on adding a PVC cleanout in the same place and using a 45 wye that is 4”x4”x3” in the main stack. Let me know if this works or if I should do something else. The span before the 45 downward drop is about 8’ of horizontal that there isn’t a whole lot of room to move around.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 0B599627-FAEE-4E5B-AEB2-50AB66693B7D.jpeg
    0B599627-FAEE-4E5B-AEB2-50AB66693B7D.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 157

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
3" works for a toilet and lav.
If you're redoing what you see, I would guess it should be fine. I can't see where you're going from there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks