Casing repair sleeve, aka well liner. any non-PVC options?

Users who are viewing this thread

AnantaSesadas

Reaction score
I have bad corrosion in my well casing. Inspector said it will just get worse and the sooner I get a liner the better for keeping the well usable. But he uses PVC to make the liner and I want to avoid using that material. Is there any other material that can be used to line a casing like a repair sleeve?

AnantaSesadas

Reaction score
I'm learning that vitrified clay or cement pipe might work but if I can find HDPE or ABS pipe that would be cheaper and easier to install. One reference suggested these latter plastics but everywhere I find ABS it is described as DWV and not for pressure. Well won't be under pressure except by any soil that builds up from the deteriorating case. So it looks like only HDPE is an option.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah and the wall thickness of HDPE will be too thick to work, and it will be too flexible as well. I don't think PVC is as harmful as some would have you believe. My casing, drop pipe, underground pipe, shroud, and all the fittings are PVC. Me and a lot of other people would have been dead a long time ago if PVC was a real problem. Plastisizers leach out of PVC for a while, but after a few years it declines greatly. And if you have rust or anything in the water, it can coat the pipe with a patina as well.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Its definiltely not DIY.... but I've installed both black and stainless steel liners in wells..either is a good alternative to PVC if you are dead set against that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks