Case 3000 Wall Mounted Toilet Chair Carrier

Users who are viewing this thread

K3eax

Reaction score
I'd like to hear from someone who has had experience with Case toilet chair carriers. I would like to replace the series 3000 wall mounted circa 1963 toilet with a modern toilet most of which attach with four bolts. Do Case chair carriers used for the 3000 series have tapped and threaded holes in a position that make it possible to install upper studs enabling the use of a four-bolt toilet?

My case carrier is behind a tiled wall and so, of course, I've never seen it. So, this question is for someone has either seen them or taken a chance and drilled through the wall to discover whether or not such threaded holes exist.

An answer would be extremely appreciated!

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
You can do a search on this forum for more information. Our moderator HJ is a hands-down expert on these toilets. He will also tell you they are the greatest toilet ever made and you would be a fool to replace them with something like a AS Glenwall or the equivalent Gerber.

You recognize, I assume, that you are not going to be able to install one of those bowl-only deals like the Duravit that has the tank in the wall, but are limited to basically the AS Glenwall or Gerber Maxwell (and possibly a couple of others).

If you do want to replace it, my understanding (subject to correction by HJ) is that the Case 3000 uses a standard carrier, but only uses 2 holes of it, with an adapter. So you would open the wall, remove the adapter, and then likely be in a position to mount a 4-bolt toilet (assuming that the threads and holes in the old carrier aren't corroded or otherwise unusable). Finding a great, uber-competent plumber who could tweak your Case properly is a good alternative. But most plumbers out there aren't that competent and/or don't want to put in the effort.

So...you can replace with this:

maxwell_wh_wood.jpg

Gerber Maxwell (gravity flush, quieter and reasonably-priced)

OR THIS:

chalet_42.jpg

AS Glenwall (pressure assist -- more expensive and louder)

Last edited:

K3eax

Reaction score
You can do a search on this forum for more information. Our moderator HJ is a hands-down expert on these toilets. He will also tell you they are the greatest toilet ever made and you would be a fool to replace them with something like a AS Glenwall or the equivalent Gerber.

You recognize, I assume, that you are not going to be able to install one of those bowl-only deals like the Duravit that has the tank in the wall, but are limited to basically the AS Glenwall or Gerber Maxwell (and possibly a couple of others).

If you do want to replace it, my understanding (subject to correction by HJ) is that the Case 3000 uses a standard carrier, but only uses 2 holes of it, with an adapter. So you would open the wall, remove the adapter, and then likely be in a position to mount a 4-bolt toilet (assuming that the threads and holes in the old carrier aren't corroded or otherwise unusable). Finding a great, uber-competent plumber who could tweak your Case properly is a good alternative. But most plumbers out there aren't that competent and/or don't want to put in the effort.

So...you can replace with this:

maxwell_wh_wood.jpg

Gerber Maxwell (gravity flush, quieter and reasonably-priced)

OR THIS:

american-standard-2093.100.020.jpg;width=500;height=500;bgcolor=White;quality=65;;scale=both;

AS Glenwall (pressure assist -- more expensive and louder)

Thanks for taking the time to reply ---- greatly appreciated!

I'm left with a question. Will I find two threaded holes on the existing carrier at the proper height for the installation of the two new studs?

Certainly, would like to hear from HJ who seems to have been "this way" many times before.

Again, thanks

Al (k3eax)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You won't know until you open the wall. Which you can do behind where the bowl will be hiding it anyway.
Most wall hung brackets that I've seen made were made as four bolt carriers. It's a very good guess that the carrier in the wall will support four bolts.
In the rare exception, you don't have much choice other than keeping the Case or installing a new carrier.

chalet_28.jpg

Wall hung carrier Terry Love

case_toilet_inside_2.jpg

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
One other thought: if you do replace the Case, there is one other difference between the Maxwell and the Glenwall. When mounted on the carrier, the Maxwell positions the top of the bowl (and thus the seat) higher than the Glenwall, so if you want a higher bowl, then you go with the Gerber Maxwell. You can see the difference on Terry's photos. Look where the top bolts in the carrier are in relation to the top of bowl on the Maxwell compared to where they are on the Glenwall. They are closer to the bowl on the Glenwall, so the Glenwall sits lower.

I should point out that Terry is one of the guys who has the skill set and get-er-done spirit necessary to tweak and/or overhaul a Case. There are some posts on the forum showing where he had done so. And some posts where somebody Kluged it and kinda messed it up. My friend Jim Brown at Maccarone Plumbing on Long Island has done several Case overhauls as well, but only does them where the owner appreciates how special they are and is willing to pay some $$ to get them back in business for another 20 years.

Paul88

Reaction score
Is HJ still in the Case business? Does he ever visit the West coast? Would he like to? Would he like to go to Disneyland on my nickel, after he tunes up my 3 Case 3000’s? Thanks, from someone who appreciates Case products but who cannot stop a leaking toilet so he may be buried in the backyard by his wife. [P.S. Anyone have a schematic of the 3000?]

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Waterloser

Reaction score
Hi I've been looking at this forum for many years, just joined. Please help..I do not know how to do a 'post'. I have 3 Case 3000 wall hung toilets. I am losing over 10 gallons an hour of water as they all leak. I have replaced parts, but they still break down. I am ready to replace one at a time but the cost of a plumber (and now the toilets!!!) are prohibitive. I live in Milwaukee WI and NO BODY will fix these anymore. I can't fix them anymore. I see all of the posts and am so in need of help and advice!!! Thank you!

Waterloser

Reaction score
Hi Terry. Seriously if I paid for your trip here could you fix these Case 3000. Without you I think I need to replace them, which includes removing tiles, lots of expense. I'm pretty worried about this. Would you come out???

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks