Carrier code 33/13, tried some stuff, stuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan Cohen

Reaction score
I have two Carrier Weathermaker 8000 furnaces. Neither will ignite. In both cases, I replaced very dirty filters with clean ones.

Furnace #1 - 58WAV070-F-16112 66,000 BTU, 3-Burner, 80% AFUE
Unit turns on, draft inducer starts running with no code; eventually a code 13 shows, then blower motor comes on. replaced the hot surface ignitor, removed and cleaned the limit switch (there is no rolloff switch on these furnaces). Still not working.

Furnace #2 - 58WAV045 44,000 BTU, 2-Burner, 80% AFUE
Unit turns on, immediately the blower motor comes on, 33 code shows immediately, then ultimately a 13 code. replaced the hot surface ignitor (previous one crumbled), blower motor is a little squeaky but was running successfully with squeaks for a long time.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Take a pic of the wiring diagram inside blower door and can't find one . Board fault rollout or a limit. Some might have a fuselink. Do you have a volt meter?

Dan Cohen

Reaction score
Thanks @fitter30! It turns out that furnace #1 had a flipped rollout switch, which I figured out was located near the flue. Pushing the reset got that furnace working. Furnace #2 had a stuck limit switch, which needed a volt meter to confirm. Removed it, tapped it, and unstuck it, now the the furnace works! Moral to the story: I needed to change my filters sooner. Now I got those fancy Filtrete filters with the Bluetooth sensor, which tells me when to replace.

For limit switch troubleshooting, I found this video helpful

Fitter30

Reaction score
Thanks @fitter30! It turns out that furnace #1 had a flipped rollout switch, which I figured out was located near the flue. Pushing the reset got that furnace working. Furnace #2 had a stuck limit switch, which needed a volt meter to confirm. Removed it, tapped it, and unstuck it, now the the furnace works! Moral to the story: I needed to change my filters sooner. Now I got those fancy Filtrete filters with the Bluetooth sensor, which tells me when to replace.

For limit switch troubleshooting, I found this video helpful
Replace the limit, this is safety they usually trip for a reason. Blocked filter, are a fan motor that is stopping when it shouldn't. Replace the squeaking fan motor knowing that it will fail at the worst time. If your going to use a universal motor don't go by hp use amperage. Example if old motor is 1/2 hp and name.plate 8.1 amps and universal is 8 amps don't buy it use a 3/4 hp. Manufacturers play with amp draw and hp.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks