Caroma vs. Toto

Users who are viewing this thread

kc1121

Reaction score
Trying to decide between the Caroma Sydney 270 Elongated, the Toto Aquia II CST416M or the Toto Eco Drake CST744E -- any assistance would be greatly appreciated. All 3 seem to do a excellent job of water conservation compared to what I currently have installed. I guess my main concerns are bang for the buck (after rebates), flush power and ease of installation for the plumber/contractor/myself.

Thanks in advance

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The best bang for the buck will be the Eco Drake, 1.28 gallon flush with a very simple installation.

The Caroma is the most expensive of the three, and the installation is a little harder than the Drake

The Aquia is between those in price, a little more time on the install than the Caroma, but a nicer toilet than the Caroma.

kc1121

Reaction score
Actually, in terms of price (cheapest first), it went Drake, Caroma, Aquia II. With the addition of the soft close seat for the Totos, not sure if the Caroma included the seat or not.

Thanks for the quick reply.

kc1121

Reaction score
Can't recall where I read/heard it, but is it possible to swap the flapper or make adjustments to the EcoDrake to give it an even stronger flush(G-Max?)?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you change to the red flapper or blue flapper it drops more water,
or you can just hold the handle down a bit longer.
I have one in the master right now, and I don't even think about it.
The Eco Flapper works just fine.

attachment.php

E-Max flapper THU277S

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Eco-Drake you can remove the float and it changes to a G-max.
Remove the chain from the trip lever, remove the round white clip, slide float off chain and reconnect chain to trip lever.
Flapper.JPG

GramGram

Reaction score
I finally went with the EcoDrake...

...and I wouldn't know why you would wish for a more powerful flush. I think it is TERRIFIC as is. "If it ain't broke, why 'fix' it?"

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
If you change to a Blue flapper you would let out even more water.

E-max 1.28 GPF
G-max 1.6 GPF
Blue flapper probably 2 GPF

kc1121

Reaction score
thanks all.. just trying to gather as much info as possible before I go after 3 EBMUD rebates ;)

GramGram

Reaction score
EBMUD Rebates

Yes, I need to get a second toilet for a hardly used Master Bathroom.
I have until the end of December and I'm thinking I should stick with the EcoDrake. After Rebate, the price will amount to 72.00 but we got the self-close seat which was pricey--40 BUCKS!!! I would never have gone for it except for the rebate. Question is, does Toto make any other (less pricey)seats? I hate to get a different brand since the "made for a Toto" looks so nice.

kc1121

Reaction score
on the spec sheet for the EcoDrake EL, they list 3 seats: the soft close and 2 others -- so there are other Toto options it seems

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any elongated toilet seat will fit...depending on the brand, it may not be a perfect match to all of the curves, but it will work fine. The softclose seats are available made in different materials, and with security bolts (so it can't easily be stolen).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are only two seat sizes in the US.
Regular
Elongated

The Eco Drake bowl can be ordered four ways
Regular
Elongated
Elongated with CEFIONTECT
Elongated with ADA height

kc1121

Reaction score
after a little shopping around this weekend, it looks like the Caroma is out of the mix and another Toto is in the picture now.

Still w/ the same parameters from the original post (bang for the buck, flush power, ease of installation, etc) -- which would most of you choose: the Eco Drake, the Eco Aquia II or the Eco Ultramax? Adding the soft-close seat to the Eco Drake and Aquia II make all 3 toilets within a range of $30-40 for me, so no major difference of prices.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks