Caroma Caravelle vs Toto Drake for water savings?

Users who are viewing this thread

2Bgreen

Reaction score
After much research and agonizing I'm down to deciding between the Caroma Caravelle 305 Dual Flush 1.6/0.8 Gpf and the Toto Eco Drake CST744E with the single 1.28 Gpf. From what I've read, the smaller water spot on the Caravelle may necessitate a second flush (and brush clean) which will defeat it's water saving purposes. I've also heard that the Drake is very efficient and powerful and one flush will handle anything. My main concern is the water savings. I have two kids and a "clean toilet" fanatical wife. Any help with making this decision would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They both average out at about 1.28 gallons.

For cleaning and for the boys, get the CST744EG
That model has an elongated bowl, a little easier for the boys to hit the bowl.
CEFIONTECT, a smooth finish, for less cleaning
Get the softclose SS114 seat, no more slamming seats.

Below are a few of the toilets I'm selling.
TOTO with CEFIONTECT on the left, Gerber Ultraflush, and Caroma dual flush on the right

toto_gerber_caroma.jpg

Last edited:

2Bgreen

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply! One more question. Is the Toto Drake easier to install than the Caroma Caravelle?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thank you for the quick reply! One more question. Is the Toto Drake easier to install than the Caroma Caravelle?

Way easier.
cst744sl_03_paper.jpg

TOTO Drake

For one thing, the tank comes adjusted from the factory.
Their are also fewer defects, less chance of having to do the job twice.
The Drake is more compact, so it takes up less space.
The seat is better quality then the Caroma seat.
And the Drake doesn't spray droplets of water onto the seat like the Caroma does.

The Caroma is good if the kids have medical problems with stools that are extreme in size.
You can pass a potato through these things.

sydney_bowl_tile.jpg

Caroma

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have two kids and a "clean toilet" fanatical wife. Any help with making this decision would be appreciated.

EcoDrake elongated with CEFIONTECT would probably serve you best based on what you have said. That's the route I recently went. My old Gerbers had a waterspot about the size of the Caroma...and that was not good from a bowl cleanliness standpoint. These Drakes are staying very clean so far. For boys/men peeing in the dark, a large waterspot and elongated bowl is a good thing. ;)

Other than the small waterspot in the Caroma's I was also concerned about the splashing that some owners had described.

I'm using the standard height elongated, but if you want some extra flush capacity you might consider the ADA height (900 vs 600 in the MaP tests.)

I can't say for sure on the water savings of the dual flush vs. single. Some of it depends on the number of females vs. males I suppose. My understanding is that TP use typically requires the full flush, so the ratio of full flushes will be higher for the ladies.

2Bgreen

Reaction score
Finally got The Drake installed. Thanks everyone for the help deciding. The only trouble I ran into was that my old toilet had about 1" of clearance for the flange under the base. The new Eco Drake gives you about 3/8". Since my flange needed that extra space because it was old, cracked and crooked I had to have a plumber come in to replace it. He finished the install for me and things are flowing wonderfully...

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Eco_Drake.jpg
    Eco_Drake.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 3,810
Last edited:

pottygirl

Reaction score
Toto vs Caroma

They both average out at about 1.28 gallons.

For cleaning and for the boys, get the CST744EG
That model has an elongated bowl, a little easier for the boys to hit the bowl.
CEFIONTECT, a smooth finish, for less cleaning
Get the softclose SS114 seat, no more slamming seats.

Below are a few of the toilets I'm selling.
TOTO with CEFIONTECT on the left, Gerber Ultraflush, and Caroma dual flush on the right

toto_gerber_caroma.jpg

Hi Terry,

the Toto uses 1.28 gpf every single flush, the Caroma uses 0.8 gallons for liquid and 1.6 for solid waste, which averages to about 1 gallon per flush (based on the widely used average of 4 liquid/1 solid uses a day).

Also, Caroma models are also available with elongated bowls, both in regular height (15") or ADA compliant "easy height" of 17" to the rim.

Best regards,
Andrea Paulinelli, ecoTransitions Inc.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Caroma also uses more space in the bathroom,
Sprays the seat during a flush
And the bowl gets dirtier.

For those reasons, I haven't been selling as many.

The TOTO Aquia is better in those three areas.
And I have less returns with the Aquia, so make that four.

The Aquia is a dual flush toilet.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks