Caroma Caravelle Smart Dual-Flush 989900 one-piece toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Caroma Caravelle Smart Dual-Flush 989900 one-piece toilet with a very large trapway. I would say maybe the largest you can get right now.

caroma-989900-02.jpg

A nice skirted design.

caroma-989900-01.jpg

Look at the size of that trapway.

caroma-989900-03.jpg

caroma-989900-04.jpg

caroma-989900-05.jpg

caroma-989900-06.jpg

The floor flange can be rotated for a 12" or a 10" rough.

caroma-989900-spec.jpg

Last edited:

Hapahaole

Reaction score
This is a great looking toilet! I'm looking for a skirted, clean lined, simple toilet that sends everything down!
We have a Toto Drake, but was willing to spend a bit more for something skirted. I have never heard of this brand before. How does it compare to Toto? Can you get replacement parts at the hardware store if needed? Thank you!

Mr_Yellow

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

newbie here and I have some questions about this toilet. I hired a designer to redo our bathrooms and they picked this exact toilet to be installed in two of our bathrooms.

After the first one was installed, I immediately noticed that the flush actually does *not* clean the bowl very well at all. There are entire streaks and sections of the bowl where no water touches it even over multiple flushes. I put a hold on the second toilet (it was backordered) and I was hoping the experts here could offer some insights.

Is the lack of water coverage on the bowl by design ? Won't it lead to chronic cleaning issues with dirty splashes and what not? I also noticed the water that streams from the rim does *not* spread out at all and that's likely due to the smart glaze coating. Maybe once the coating wears down the water will spread more and wash more of the bowl? I recall reading complaints about this same issue on much older threads but I was hoping caroma had fixed this issue.

Aside from that, I really love the look of the toilet and I love the flushing capacity. The flush itself seems powerful. it's just the bowl cleaning part that's putting me off. I'm coming from an American Standard Vormax Toilet so this is a drastic change.

Am i picking nits over nothing here and should just get the second caravelle installed?

Thanks!!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hi Mr. Yellow,
One thing that helps with a new toilet is to use some dish washing detergent on the bowl to rid it of any manufacturing oils. That may help with it staying clean.
That being said, the Caroma isn't the best at bowl cleanliness, but it's strong point is the trapway sizing that makes it really good at preventing clogging.

A Hoser

Reaction score
My first time posting, so sorry if I am posting my question in the wrong place. I plan to buy a Caroma (thanks for the info Terry), but was confused by the list of all different types on their website. Caravelle, Sydney, Somerset, Brisbane, 989000 vs 989000w, 270 versus 350, etc. Which is the best potato/bowling-ball flusher of all their offered products and styles? I am talking about their floor mount, not wall mount, products.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Which is the best potato/bowling-ball flusher of all their offered products and styles? I am talking about their floor mount, not wall mount, products.

They all have the large trapways. I have sold and installed all of them to my knowledge. I would just pick one that looks good to you.
The funny thing is going to places like Whistler Mountain on my time share and going back to find that they have switched their toilets to Caroma. I guess they had gotten tired of dealing with their old stuff.

Parts? Rare that they are ever needed, and those are not in hardware stores. Dealer only I believe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks