Carlyle or Aquia 11.5 rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Socialrez80

Reaction score
Hi. My rough in is 11.5 or 11 3/8 from the wall so to not risk it, I have to go with Aquia Or Carlyle 2 so I can use the 10 inch unifit in case it does not fit. I have been reading complaints about the Aquia because of bowl shape that some smears can be left. Any opinion?

secondly, does the Carlyle come with the washlet + hole pre drilled. I have a hard time finding. A washlet + combo in stock so I want to piece meal it but hoping it has the hole pre drilled.

would appreciate any advise and thanks for all you guys do here.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Yes, smears with the Aquia...but worst of all is the unforgivable design of the stupid plastic block mount with flat head screws to attach the unit to the floor.
I don't know the washlet hole answer. Talk to Toto or a Toto wholesaler.

Reach4

Reaction score
Most 12 inch rough toilets, will fit an 11.5 inch rough, and probably even a 11.25 rough. The exception is if the wall leans out.

Some 12-inch toilets have more space there than others. Plus you can gain a bit extra by sliding 1/4 inch closet bolts in the slot a bit.

Other than your concern about the rough in and good flushing, what characteristics are you looking for. Elongated, chair height, one-piece, cost?

Note that many rather different toilets can have names such as Drake, Aquia, Cadet, etc. So pay attention to the model numbers in discussions.

Last edited:

Socialrez80

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I certainly want a one piece, and elongated. I have heard chair height is more comfy so would like that too although not a requirement. I put a level on the back wall and it was not completely straight, so it worries me a bit. I can send a photo, when I get back to the house later. I am still torn to wait for a washlet + or just get a washlet and let the wires show. will respond will pictures. Thank you all for advise.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Buy the toilet with the hole pre drilled.. If you're still on the fence whether to buy one or not, the toilet will come with a seat that covers the hole. You can decide later.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Look carefully at the spec drawing on the Carlyle and I think you'll find that it normally sits 3/4" from the wall. If the wall doesn't lean into the room, it should fit. Normally, you can shift the toilet 1/4" or maybe 3/8" on the bolts. The toilet flange's opening is about 3", and the outlet of the toilet is 2-1/8", so shifting it slightly will still have that pointing down into the drain.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The toilets with a Unifit come with the standard 12" fitting regardless.. Buying the 10" rough can't hurt, you'll have it on hand when you set the toilet and be able to use it if the 12" doesn't work.. and if you end up not needing the 10" Unifit, you can likely return it or sell it on ebay or whatever.

*edited the length of unifit i suggested from 14 to 10*

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, if your rough in is less than 12", and you're uncertain a 12" one would fit, with some Toto models, you could pick up the 10" rough-in, and be assured it would, but it would likely stick further out into the room.

When the rough-ins are exact, whether 10, 12, or 14", with those Toto toilets that use the UniFit adapter, the actual toilet sits exactly the same distance from the wall...only the internal UniFit length changes to compensate.

The Carlyle normally sits about 3/4" off of the wall, so, in theory, if you had 11.25", the rear would be touching, but you can often fudge the position on the flange slightly to move it forward while still maintaining a good seal to the flange. You don't want the rear touching the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks