Carlyle II - Distance to Wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

DC Newbie

Reaction score
Replacing an old toilet with a 14 inch rough-in in a small powder room. The original toilet I chose, the Toto Nexus, did not fit because of the old cast iron baseboard heat, which sticks out 1.25 inches. Plumber recommended a non-skirted design to ensure it fits. Carlyle II seems like a good option, but I can't tell from the design schematics if it will present the same problem as the Nexus. Any ideas?

thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Carlyle II is also tight to the wall. Are you trying to use an adapter to pull it closer to the wall by 2" and still miss the radiator?
At 14", the Carlyle II would give you about 2.5" , and more like .5" if you use the 14" adapter to pull it closer to the wall.

The Nexus and the Carlyle are similar though, so if the Nexus didn't work, I don't see the Carlyle being any better.

index.php

Last edited:

DC Newbie

Reaction score
The Carlyle II is also tight to the wall. Are you trying to use an adapter to pull it closer to the wall by 2" and still miss the radiator?
At 14", the Carlyle II would give you about 2.5" , and more like .5" if you use the 14" adapter to pull it closer to the wall.
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the quick response! The answer is yes, I think? Because it is a 14 inch rough in, I did order the 14 inch unifit adapter to bring the toilet closer to the wall. I think you are saying that the standard 12 inch adapter would give me 2.5", which should be enough to clear the radiator, but at the cost of sticking out further in what is a tiny powder room. It sounds like the Carlyle II is at least viable, though, instead of the Nexus which was not.

I guess there is no way to use a 14 inch adapter and still clear the baseboard radiator?

DC Newbie

Reaction score

The Nexus and the Carlyle are similar though, so if the Nexus didn't work, I don't see the Carlyle being any better.
Perhaps the Drake might be a better option - schematics show it sits 1 5/8" from the wall.

Reach4

Reaction score
What I did on my install with Unifit:
Initially, using the bolt method, I thought I had a 13-7/16 rough.
http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...baseboard-and-shoe-molding.58080/#post-428138
http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...nifit-or-stick-with-the-12.59681/#post-442544
showed what I did... my rough was closer to 13 inches.
It turned out that my rough was less than I initially thought based on external bolt measurements. The bolts were not in long slots which would have provided some easy adjustability; they were in side slots. The bolts were not the exact same distance to the wall.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toilet-rough-in-dilemma.89675/#post-643625
has marked-up unifit photo showing the concept. The drywall screws (green arrows) would not have been necessary. I do overkill at times.

My point is that there is that adjustability that Terry mentioned. But I was able to go farther, but it may not meet your needs.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THe nominal distance behind a Toto that uses the Unifit adapter is about 3/4". Using the stock 12" one on a 14" RI, should give you 2-3/4". You can usually 'fudge' the position on the Unifit maybe up to 3/8" and still have the outlet pointing into the flange without hitting the edges.

So, it just depends on how much room you need and how exact your 14" RI is to the standard.

DC Newbie

Reaction score
Thanks for both the recent responses. To answer your question, Terry, the radiator is only about 6 inches high.

I wasn't there when the plumber tried the install, but after reading everyone's input and doing my own measurements to confirm, it seems that he basically only tried to install with the 14 inch adapter, and didn't attempt with the 12 since that should fit. If I have time this week I will take a crack at doing it myself. Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

Reach4

Reaction score
If I have time this week I will take a crack at doing it myself.
Take photos. You don't have to post them, but taking the pictures gives you the option. We like success stories and pictures.

DC Newbie

Reaction score
Take photos. You don't have to post them, but taking the pictures gives you the option. We like success stories and pictures.

Alright so I got lazy, and let plumbers who are working in my house on a different project go ahead and install the toilet. It fit like a charm...not sure why the first plumber didn't figure it out.

Attachments

• 20211025_171651.jpg
    20211025_171651.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 175
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks