Carbon Filter suggestion to pair with 5600sxt 1.5cu

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave E

Reaction score
Recently moved to a new house and quickly added a water softener fleck 5600sxt 1.5cu 1" from aplus water llc to my city water. It was an easy install for me. The water softener is doing it's job, however the water does not taste good and my wife complains about her hair feeling dry (however this might have toggled when I removed the water saver feature in the shower head). Hardness tested at zero, so the softener is doing its job. We moved about 15miles from our original house and never had these issues with our old sears softener and the water quality.

My neighbor told me his setup has 2 carbon filters installed in his house along with softener, I still have not seen the setup. Assuming maybe one before and after the softener. I am looking to get a carbon filter to put before my softener and looking for recommendations. I read on this forum that some online suppliers might not have original Fleck products. Can someone recommend a good carbon filter to pair with my softener? Also, any experience with aplus? Thanks in advance....

Last edited:

Dave E

Reaction score
Since I already own a 5600sxt 48k 1.5cu water softener as mentioned above, can I buy the 5800sxt carbon filter 1.5cu setup, then move the better 5800sxt controller to my water softener and put the 5600sxt control unit on the carbon tank? Will the software/firmware for the 5600 work with the carbon tank and visa versa with 5800 and softener? It seems like the softener would need more advanced control system vs a carbon tank.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Not worth the bother. The 5600SXT and 5800SXT have nearly identical programming. Calculated reserve is available on the 5800, nice but not worth swapping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks