Carbon and softener on single valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Bryceslu

Reaction score
I am in the market for a catalyzed carbon filter and a softener and I initially thought I needed to have them on separate valves. I was initially told that an upflow carbon tank would be fine and it would get stirred up when the softener regens, but I have been reading on this site that I should be backwashing the carbon tank separately.

However I just happened to look through the catalog on the website that dittohead has listed and saw the hybrid xl twin tanks running through the same valve. Valve is hooked up to both tanks. https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/18-19

Does anyone have any experience with this? Seems like it would be an easier alternative to having 2 valves. Only downside I can really think of is the carbon tank will be backwashed twice as often if not more...if that’s even really a bad thing. I have zero experience with softeners so wondering what the pros think of a twin tank twin valve setup vs a twin tank single valve setup for carbon and softener tank. I’m also not sure I understand the water flow through the 2 tanks and the single valve.

Thanks!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The hybrid stacked units are very popular and effective. The side by side units are disconinued temporarily until we can source a higher quality tank interconnect. The carbon does not mind being backwashed regularly. The only problem is the limited amount of carbon you can do with the stacked tank design. Two tanks, two valves is a better design but takes up more space, it also will typically have 3X more carbon than the stacked hybrid.

Last edited:

Bryceslu

Reaction score
Yeah I don’t think a stacked will work for me based on low amount of carbon, had someone who sells aqua systems try and talk me into it. I would be looking for a 2 cf catalyzed carbon tank along with a 2 cf resin tank. So the interconnected tanks with 1 valve is a doable option if I can find one? How does water flow through the unit?

Bryceslu

Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I was asking. How the water flows through the head and each tank. I was assuming carbon then softener then house but figured I would ask to be sure.
Is it worth trying to find a setup like this or keep on my search of each tank having its own valve?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Is it worth trying to find a setup like this or keep on my search of each tank having its own valve?
As Ditttohead's company Impact Water is the developer and supplier of that hybrid configuration, as supply is currently discontinued at least temporarily, I anticipate you would be unsuccessful finding a new unit elsewhere.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
We have three manufacturers of this interconnecting head, all are junk. And honestly, it is more about marketing than function. Two heads are definitely better than a single for a multitude of reasons, except for marketing purposes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks