Capping gas line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason75

Reaction score
So I have a general question for plumbers located in Illinois I am looking to purchase a home in Warrenville IL. And the home that I am looking at has a gas cap in the laundry from and in the fire place but no shut off valves. There is a main shut off valve. I have talked to a few people with mixed responses does a capped gas line need a shut off valve? I would like to see the seller of the home get this work completed but need some information to go back to them and ask to have this completed before closing.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
They don't need valves unless it is connected to an appliance. In fact ending the line with just a valve is far more dangerous. When they do end with a valve the valve must be plugged for safety reasons.

John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like John has mentioned. A capped line is as safe as it gets. You're golden.

Some gas lines are considered "futures"
When someone decides to use them, they take off the caps and then valve them and install the fixture.
A valve can have a slight leak. A cap doesn't.
That's why when we put on a gas test for the inspector, we cap off "before" any valves.

Last edited:

Jason75

Reaction score
Ok, so what I gather is that if I was to then install the dryer as gas I would then have to install a shut off valve. So the seller is not responsible to have this completed before I close. Thanks for all the help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If and when someone decides to install a dryer, it's best to do it at that time. Whoever pulls off the cap, can put the shutoff valve on and connect a flex to the dryer. One step instead of two.

Jason75

Reaction score
Yeah, see I was under the assumption that the shut off valve should have already been there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The home that I am looking at has a gas cap in the laundry room and in the fire place but no shut off valves.

However, Depending on the fireplace, it probably SHOULD have a "shutoff" valve in the wall adjacent to the fireplace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason75

Reaction score
The gas line has a key that controls the gas flow but its currently covered by brick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks