Capacity vs salt dose chart

Users who are viewing this thread

Old

Reaction score
I am looking for a chart that shows proper capacity (grains) at 6, 8, 10, etc lbs of salt (per cuft) for various size softeners. I believe Gary Slusser had one on his old website. Does anyone happen to have a chart you could send me? I'm tired of manually calculating every time.
Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
How much resin does your tank have? What is your BLFC? Or would you like the contents of Gary's old table? Here it is.

Attachments

• img_5.png
    img_5.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 3,454

Old

Reaction score
Than you both. That is the chart is what I was looking for. I should clarify, I am a plumber who periodically installs and services water softeners. I understand how to calculate capacity, salt dose, etc. I wanted to put that chart on my phone for quick and easy reference.

That is a nice article, I will share with my co workers.

Thank you!

Vladimir Zdorikov

Reaction score
dittohead,

In the article you linked to, the graph does not correlate with the table next to it.
Example: The graph shows 32K grains/cuft for a 15 lbs/cu-ft salt dose, which seems to be the standard value used to quote softener capacity.
But the table shows 30,000 grains/cuft for that same salt dose.

There are similar discrepancies for other data points, although the table matches Gary Slusser's old table...

Could you please clarify?

Also, in a few places I have read that brine can hold 3 lbs/gal of pure water, but only 2.6 lb/gal after the salt dissolves.

For softener programming calculations, I assume we should use the 3 lbs/gal figure as we will be programming the *pure water volume* for the brine fill cycle. i.e. 1 gal of pure water will be able to absorb 3 gals of salt, expanding its volume during the process to ~1.15 gals of brine (3/2.6 ~= 1.15).
Could you confirm that we should be using the 3 lbs/gal rather than the 2.6 lbs/gal for converting gallons of water to lbs of salt before using the above tables?

Thanks.

Bannerman

Reaction score
To program a softener, the calculation is each gallon of water entering the brine tank will dissolve 3 lbs salt. This is not a specific ratio but in many calculations in water treatment, it is close enough.

Here is a chart which shows resin regeneration capacity at various salt settings. The salt amount specified at the top of each column is based on lbs salt per cubic foot of resin.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/resin-chart-jpg.53316/

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks