Cap pipe or replace fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Smith333

Reaction score
I am adding a water softener to my house but first have to alter the plumbing since the house is not currently plumbed for a softener. In one location a tee that services two bathrooms also services an outdoor faucet that I don't want softened. When I cut out the 1/2" line to the faucet (black line), can I simply cap off the stub (red square) or does the tee fitting have to be replaced with an elbow? There is no play in any of the pipes so it would require extensive repiping to change the fitting. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0870.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 114

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never heard of any problem with using a cap in that situation. The dead leg would be very short. An elbow would give you slightly less pressure loss, but not enough to matter, unless the flow is upwards into the current tee and you are desperate for more flow at the fixtures served by the 3/4" line leaving the photo at the top left.

That said, if you needed to change the fitting for some reason, then if that 3/4" line at the top left continues to the left for a couple feet without bends or obstructions, it should be possible without replacing anything else.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks